Thread: Basswood for drawers?

Basswood for drawers?

I'm making a some drawers and have a chunk of basswood about 7" x 12" x24" that has been collecting dust in the shop for a year or so, and could supply all the drawer parts (except the front - QSWO for that). As near as I can tell it is pretty similar to poplar and I'm thinking of cutting it up for the drawers. Anyone have experience with it? Any words of caution?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    My experience with is has been for carving and for scrolling. It is very soft so wear may be an issue depending on use case. I would look for a carver or a scroller on here to trade is for a piece of maple or poplar.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thx Glenn - guess I'll stick with poplar. The basswood has made a nice foot stool.
    And I'm suffering from a severe case of Male Map Reading Syndrome. That chuck of basswood is only 16" long, not 24.

My thought too was that basswood is pretty soft for a part that incurs wear. The other thing is that, especially if it's an air dried piece, it may well have a lot more value to a carver than sawn up into drawer parts. That's a thick piece of wood.

Basswood will work fine if you are using ball bearing guides. If you are sliding the drawers on wood rails, just laminate a piece of hard maple to the bottom edge of the basswood as a wear surface.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    My thought too was that basswood is pretty soft for a part that incurs wear. The other thing is that, especially if it's an air dried piece, it may well have a lot more value to a carver than sawn up into drawer parts. That's a thick piece of wood.
    Never thought of the value to carvers. I'll post something in classifieds. Thanks for the heads up.

Yea, poplar, pine, soft maple, oak, whatever for the drawer sides. The basswood isn't going to hold up. If I were close to you, I'd take that off your hands...I use it for guitar bodies.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...