Thread: WTB: Jointer Plane

WTB: Jointer Plane

Hi all,
    Looking for a good user jointer plane. Not brand specific, metal or wood. Just need it to be flat and square. Might actually possibly prefer a woody (if the bottom flat)

Probably unrealistic but I would like to spend $100 or less, but if you have something close let me know please.

In the Portland,OR Metro area.

Thank you,
    Michael Evans

Get ready to prowl around on eBay for a few weeks. Be patient and you'll find a sweet Bailey No. 7. Go for a smooth bottom version, Type 15 or earlier. Take your time and jump when you see the one you want. You should be able to find a Buy It Now version so you can avoid the bidding, which I often find is fraught with rigged pre-set bids.

Last year I found a Bed Rock 607, Type 6a (1922) that required only a minimum of cleaning and fettling, and now it's a real gem. But a Bailey will be just as good.

Good luck, and let us see what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Get ready to prowl around on eBay for a few weeks. Be patient and you'll find a sweet Bailey No. 7. Go for a smooth bottom version, Type 15 or earlier. Take your time and jump when you see the one you want. You should be able to find a Buy It Now version so you can avoid the bidding, which I often find is fraught with rigged pre-set bids.

Last year I found a Bed Rock 607, Type 6a (1922) that required only a minimum of cleaning and fettling, and now it's a real gem. But a Bailey will be just as good.

Good luck, and let us see what you come up with.

I just started the bay searching, I let one pass today. Figured I'd try the creek first. Any search tips, besides jointer plane?

I've got a body and wedge (no blade or cap iron) you could have for the cost of shipping. It's marked "Langeskov" 23 1/2 x 2 3/4.

Straight, no serious defects (other than the absent blade) with an intact handle

PM to arrange details

Michael,
    I have a very large old beechwood jointer plane that I would be willing to part with. It measures 26" x 3"H x 3 1/4" wide. it has a very nice blade and cap iron with the wooden wedge. The only marking says A. Howland & Co. N.Y. which is the manufacturer. Let me know if you are interested.

I have a new in the box Record #7. $120 shipped to Oregon.

Cash, check or money order.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Evolis Card Printer
    CorelDraw X5

Having used many hand planes over a 30 year period. I would look for a stanley gage #7. They have a superior frog and adjusting mechanism, plus the cutter is a better grade of steel.
    Where did I put those band aids?

I have a 30'' Sapele Razee by Steve Knight. It is bevel down with a 1/8'' blade and an adjustable mouth. I used it on two large tables. It will take whisper thin shavings. I am not planning anymore large projects as I'm getting up in years. PM me if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    I have a 30'' Sapele Razee by Steve Knight. It is bevel down with a 1/8'' blade and an adjustable mouth. I used it on two large tables. It will take whisper thin shavings. I am not planning anymore large projects as I'm getting up in years. PM me if you are interested.
    Hi Jerry,
    I sent you a pm or at least tried. Never sent a PM before, so not sure if I did it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I have a new in the box Record #7. $120 shipped to Oregon.
    Cash, check or money order.
    Hi Mike
    I will send you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Giles View Post
    Michael,
    I have a very large old beechwood jointer plane that I would be willing to part with. It measures 26" x 3"H x 3 1/4" wide. it has a very nice blade and cap iron with the wooden wedge. The only marking says A. Howland & Co. N.Y. which is the manufacturer. Let me know if you are interested.
    Hi Chris
    If this others fall through I will send you a message. Your plane really interests me because I have a Jack plane by the same maker. Would be cool to try and get a old set together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I've got a body and wedge (no blade or cap iron) you could have for the cost of shipping. It's marked "Langeskov" 23 1/2 x 2 3/4.

Straight, no serious defects (other than the absent blade) with an intact handle

PM to arrange details
    Jim,
    Thank you for the generous offer. I have messages out to a few others. If those fall through I will message you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Jim,
    Thank you for the generous offer. I have messages out to a few others. If those fall through I will message you.
    Get the Knight Razee.
    Steve made great planes!

Hi all
    Went with the Knight razee. Thank you all for the offers.
    Michael