Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mortising Atachment for Drill Press?

Mortising Atachment for Drill Press?

Watched a number of YT vids on it. I don't plan on making mortises routinely but want to have that abilty and build my skills.

Aside from tying up the drill press what are the downsides of using an adapter vs a properly designed and purpose built mortising tool?
    Is this a decision I would regret shortly into the tools use?

In my space limited shop storing a case vs a machine tool has a distinct advantage.

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    I have an old Homecraft bench top drill press and I've used a mortising attachment on it quite a few times. Once I polished up the outside surfaces of the mortising chisels and made a fence to aid in alignment, it became much easier to use. The only down side is it takes time to covert to mortising and back again, so if you need to drill a hole or two before your are done making mortises it can be a little frustrating. I have seen no ill effects on my drill press.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've not used a mortising attachment on a drill press. But, it seems that it would take more effort to push a chisel through wood on the DP than on the mortiser where the longer handle provides more leverage. This would be more an issue with harder woods, oak, ash, etc.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

The attachments can be fine for occasional use. With the drill bit extended to the correct length, the chisel is only removing the corners from an already bored hole. But Brian is correct that the nature of the DP's quill rotating handles vs the single lever on a dedicated mortising machine can be material if you are going to do more than occasional work with the tool. I'll mention that many folks do this work with a router and if they want square corners, they just use a chisel to get them that way. There are so many ways to do mortises.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Work ok when getting started out, then if you like doing mortises this way, you can move up to a bench mount or floor mount machine.
    Inexpensive, does take time to set up and ties the drill press up, does take more effort on the handle.
    Good luck
    Ron

Success with mortising on the drill press depends on the quality of the chisels and wood species. As mentioned, look at the huge rack gear and long lever used on dedicated mortisers, and compare to the short handle and smaller gear teeth on a drill press. They both move a quill, but the drill press is not made for mortising and especially not in really hard wood. You'll likely get burning in cherry, and very slow feeding in hard maple and white oak. Working in white pine, poplar, walnut, and even ash will probably be okay. A dull chisel with a rough exterior surface makes the whole thing exponentially worse.

I've got the Delta version of the mortising attachment for my drill press. It works pretty well but like mentioned earlier, it's time consuming to set up. If I was making mortises on a regular basis, I would certainly look into a dedicated mortising machine. For the occasional use, the drill press works well enough.

I bought and tried the grizzly version. It did not work as well as I had hoped. Ended up with a dedicated one that is just fine.

I had one for a year or two. By the time, I unboxed it, attached to the drill press, got it to cut square, laid out the mortise, ran some test pieces, and then cut the mortise, the whole process could take 30 minutes. I can cut a single mortise by hand in 10 minutes, and using a router is about the same, although the router is now set up for multiple mortises. In short, I found the device useless for the way I do my work.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The attachments can be fine for occasional use. With the drill bit extended to the correct length, the chisel is only removing the corners from an already bored hole. But Brian is correct that the nature of the DP's quill rotating handles vs the single lever on a dedicated mortising machine can be material if you are going to do more than occasional work with the tool. I'll mention that many folks do this work with a router and if they want square corners, they just use a chisel to get them that way. There are so many ways to do mortises.
    I guess a router is a decent option for occasional work. Is it practical to leave the mortise with rounded ends and match with the tenon? Seems easier to hand work the tenon ends round

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    I had one for a year or two. By the time, I unboxed it, attached to the drill press, got it to cut square, laid out the mortise, ran some test pieces, and then cut the mortise, the whole process could take 30 minutes. I can cut a single mortise by hand in 10 minutes, and using a router is about the same, although the router is now set up for multiple mortises. In short, I found the device useless for the way I do my work.
    I've had one for about 20 years now. I've used it once. Otherwise it's sat in it's blow molded case holding down shelving. Sort of a long winded "this ^"
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by John McKissick View Post
    I guess a router is a decent option for occasional work. Is it practical to leave the mortise with rounded ends and match with the tenon? Seems easier to hand work the tenon ends round
    IMHO, yes...rounding tenons isn't hard and since they disappear into the mortise, they don't need to "perfect". They just have to fit with the correct snugness. In fact, a little bit of irregularity can help with glue-up because it gives space for the glue to go. That's why Festool's Domino fasteners are not perfectly round on the end and have some small scoring on the faces...it accommodates the glue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used one for years before I ever got around to getting my first mortising machine. You can get the job done with one, but you end up running around in a lot of circles, before you start making square holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I used one for years before I ever got around to getting my first mortising machine. You can get the job done with one, but you end up running around in a lot of circles, before you start making square holes.
    So if you were to set up say for a dozen joints how much time would you estimate you save using a dedicated machine vs setting up your drill press?
    Thanks for your reply as all the others

Quote Originally Posted by John McKissick View Post
    So if you were to set up say for a dozen joints how much time would you estimate you save using a dedicated machine vs setting up your drill press?
    Thanks for your reply as all the others
    From what I remember about using one, if it isn't set up, you have the 30-45 odd minutes of remembering how to put it on, locating the part that you lost, fiddling with the adjustments and so forth. For a dedicated mortiser it is just putting in the right chisel and setting the fence, and doing some test mortices. Usually, that is about 5-10 minutes. Unless the wood is really hard and dense, cutting the mortices would be about the same perhaps a little longer on the drill press due to less leverage and "attitude problems" with the set up.

If you do a lot of mortices, I would definitely consider getting a dedicated one, but for only a few every once in a while, then a drill press attachment is probably just fine. I frequently mortice, so I have my "benchtop" Jet permanently set up on a mobile cabinet for immediate use.