Thread: Need Advice on Moving a Trotec Speedy 300

Need Advice on Moving a Trotec Speedy 300

I'm meeting a fellow Creeker next week about buying his Trotec Speedy 300. This will be my first foray into the world of laser engraving and cutting.

Anyway, I was hoping to get advice on the best way to safely move this machine from his shop to my home office which is 200 miles away.

I'm planning on separating it from the base and loading them in the back of my pickup which has a covered bed. I'll use moving blankets and strap it all down so it stays put.

I guess I should take the honeycomb out of it first so it's not banging around. Maybe shrink wrap the doors closed? Is there anything else I should do to help it travel safely?

My big question involves when I get it home and have to turn it onto its side or end to fit through the doors in my house. Will this be an issue or cause problems afterward?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Joe

Well, it looks to weigh in @ 300#. Might need help unloading and placing it in shop.
    Should not be a issue turning on it's side to go through doors.
    I bought my first laser from mfg'r in 1995 and had to travel ~350 miles to get it. They laid a piece of styrofoam
    in the pick up bed to avoid any metal to metal contact and prevent from sliding around.
    I can't think of anything you should worry about unless you're driving in rain with a leaky topper/tonneau cover??

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

You also should zip tie the engraving head in place so it does not bang around and get damaged during the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thomason View Post
    You also should zip tie the engraving head in place so it does not bang around and get damaged during the move.
    That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Well, it looks to weigh in @ 300#.
    I saw that in the specs and to be honest, it surprised me. My brother will be there to help load and unload and he's a hulk. I'm more concerned about holding up my end.

Joe
    Secure the laser head and the carriage. Remove the cutting table. Securely tape the lid and front door with strong packing tape.

If you can, find large pieces of expanded polystyrene (styrofoam) for it to ride on during the trip. It would be wise to have 3 or 4 men to help unload and set it up on the trolley. It is bulky and cumbersome to handle.

It is not difficult to remove the tube if you want to lighten the load a bit more.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 06-01-2020 at 8:13 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Make this easy on yourself: Spend a couple of bucks and rent a U-haul trailer. Secure the gantry as everyone above says. Roll the thing up the trailer's ramp, tie some blankets around it, then secure it to the trailer... best way is to place it in the middle, just ahead of the triailer's axles, and ratchet-strap it to the 4 corners of trailer. It won't move and won't bang into anything.

My Gravo rep buys used machines and delivers machines of types all the time to/from all over the country. If they won't fit in his minivan, this is how he moves them. My big IS7000 machine, around 700# including the rolling wood table, came 600 miles from Montana this way. He's never had an issue.

When I bought my big Triumph, I had to go to a storage facility and pick it up. Was only a 25 mile round trip but the trailer made it easy. My son and I got it off the trailer with no problems other than sliding that much weight to the ramp!
    DSC04336.jpg

If you don't have a vehicle to tow it, borrow or rent one. You'll thank me later!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

When I picked mine up 400 miles round trip I rented a covered trailer. It must be tied down so it does not bounce or move in the trailer. A couple of ramps and your unloading is done.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks everyone for the additional advice. My neighbor has offered to lend me their a covered trailer and an extra set of hands when we unload.

Mike Null has been a tremendous help as we spoke on the phone prior to me making the decision to go forward with this new endeavor. Thanks, Mike!