Thread: Freight Company?

Freight Company?

I need to move a Laguna LT18 from Connecticut to South Carolina. Does anyone have experience with a freight company who can pick up/deliver and do all the loading?

https://www.freightquote.com
    Easiest way to compare pricing on LTL. Make sure to crate the saw carefully, your shipment will likely go through multiple terminals.

I've used uship.com a couple of times. Very good prices.
    Dave Davies

Where in SC?

I didn't have any success with the alternative freight options when I needed a couple oversize pallets moved from Pennsylvania to Illinois. Best price was almost double YRW. Go online at YRW and run a freight quote. Make sure it is well secured for movement.

I’ve used YRC a few different times and was pleased with the price (on the cheaper end of the spectrum) and I had no issues as well as good communication from drivers prior to them showing up if I requested it (delivery appointment) which can be worth something.

My shipments have always had forklift on both ends of the transaction though so I don’t know about that other than spec’ing lift gate service, though I’d imagine that both pickup and delivery would need to be arranged so that the bandsaw is easily accessible to the rear lift gate and I don’t know if the driver would actually help move the bandsaw on to the lift gate alone.
    Still waters run deep.

I'll share a caution on Freight Quote. Make sure to enter the correct freight classification and absolutely don't underestimate the weight. I made mistakes on both of those for shipping a large industrial copy lathe from Arizona to IL. It gives them a free pass to charge whatever they want and it cost me another $260 after I received the machine. They have your credit card number for paying based on the original quote, and in the contract print it explains how the charges can change. They also missed the delivery date by almost a week. My machine sat in Phoenix for days while I assume they were waiting for something else to fit in the truck for a full load.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    I’ve used YRC a few different times and was pleased with the price (on the cheaper end of the spectrum) and I had no issues as well as good communication from drivers prior to them showing up if I requested it (delivery appointment) which can be worth something.

My shipments have always had forklift on both ends of the transaction though so I don’t know about that other than spec’ing lift gate service, though I’d imagine that both pickup and delivery would need to be arranged so that the bandsaw is easily accessible to the rear lift gate and I don’t know if the driver would actually help move the bandsaw on to the lift gate alone.
    A couple years ago I ordered a couple pallets of siding direct from a mill about 100 miles east of me. I used YRC for delivery. The price was actually less than renting a truck and picking it up myself. The funny part in tracking the load is it actually traveled nearly 2,000 miles over a couple weeks before landing in my small town. The load did arrive completely intact with no damage.

Research "freight forwarders." They specialize in these types of shipments.

I've been told that you can get the freight company to load the item at the back of the trailer (closest to the cab) and that you can request the item not be transferred to another truck during transit: every transfer is an opportunity for damage. There is a term in the shipping world for this sort of arrangement, but unfortunately, I don't remember precisely what it is called. I had my Minimax J/P shipped this way, and it arrived safe and sound.