Thread: Veritas Panel Platform Kit - Recommended for Breaking down sheet goods

Veritas Panel Platform Kit - Recommended for Breaking down sheet goods

I have been looking for a solution to support sheet goods while cutting them down to size and ran across the veritas panel platform kit. I don't do a lot of this so working off the floor is ok for me; the benefit over a piece of foam board is that it stows away as a small package. Combine this with the low profile track clamps which fit if you use 1x3's for the platform, and it is a great solution.

I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but I couldn't be happier with this so I thought I would share.

Vppk.jpg

Have you thought about combining it with one of these Bora Centipede supports?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BORA-30-...-308813348-_-N

Might allow you to work off the floor and at a normal height, while stile being able to fold it all away.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    Have you thought about combining it with one of these Bora Centipede supports?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BORA-30-...-308813348-_-N

Might allow you to work off the floor and at a normal height, while stile being able to fold it all away.
    I did see those. In your experience does it resist racking?

Thanks,
    Jim

I have two of the Centipede thingies...they were on sale at Lowes a couple years ago for a "you don't buy this you're stupid" low price. They are great for things like breaking down sheet goods. Yes, they wiggle a little, but not much but with a track saw, the cut is still going to be perfect. Honestly, I just put a few pieces of two-buy across them with the native holders designed for that and cut away. They can hold a lot of weight, too...

IMG_5500.jpg

IMG_5501.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like the Vertis kit too. My son copied one and 3d printed enough for a second kit for me and one for himself . The second one is going to come in handy , I'm using the first to support a project I'm working on and I need to break down a dozen sheets of ply this week .

Thanks Jim, I’ll keep an eye out if one of those goes on sale.

What's nice about the Centipede thing is it collapses down to almost nothing for storage or transport and expands in a few second to support stuff. Mine came with zip bags, too. Bora makes good stuff, honestly.
    --

Jim, are you using 2 24x48 centipedes there in those photos? I see Ace Hardware has the 24x48 online for $50. I've been thinking about how to do sheet breakdown better, even thinking of mounting a homemade panel saw in my garage (somehow, somewhere..) But seeing your photos, I didn't think about using it to rough dimension rough lumber. That panel saw idea is a no go now.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 06-01-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Yes, Brian...two units...which I scarfed for $35 each a few years ago on a sale at Lowes. I've never seen them that low since, however. They are certainly worth $50, IMHO. In those photos, the slabs are 11' long and ~22-24" wide rough by 2.25" or so thick. It was easier to deal with them out in the driveway. The client was assisting, too, so the extra space was appreciated.
    --