Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2500 members w/ 0 post

OK. I confess. I registered an extra 2497 times in hopes of improving my odds of winning the Incra miter guage. It's true. I'm so ashamed.

Some people don't have much to say....others too much ....don't mention any names and please don't check my post count
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Some people don't have much to say....others too much ....don't mention any names and please don't check my post count
    Pffft...you're only fourth on the list. Pick up the pace, will ya?

Anthony,
    Several posts lately have directly stated that it is totally A-OK to lurk here and not post. I am grateful for all I learned from this forum before I ever posted.

CJ Conrad, that would be “Kuala Lumpur”, and why the false persona of Normah Binti is allowed to exist here continues to elude me. We needn’t worry about translations however, as “her” English usage has developed quite dramatically of late.

Frank

Frank - I have no idea who Normah Binti is hiding behind; but I can tell you that her occasional appearance (mostly) in the Turners Forum has not only been a welcome and entertaining one, but also in synch and spirit with which that forum conducts itself. On the other hand, the court of opinion is still out with respect to her mysterious sister and somewhat obtuse father.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Frank - I have no idea who Normah Binti is hiding behind; but I can tell you that her occasional appearance (mostly) in the Turners Forum has not only been a welcome and entertaining one, but also in synch and spirit with which that forum conducts itself. On the other hand, the court of opinion is still out with respect to her mysterious sister and somewhat obtuse father.
    Father?!? I thought that was her husband.
    Or maybe her brother.
    Maybe both.
    Maybe all three. (shudder)

Anthony,

Lurking is not an issue at all. In fact, there are usually many more lurkers than posters. One of the beauties of the site is the good it does for many who never post. I believe the post was started as a friendly attempt to make everyone feel comfortable. Sometimes when dealing only with print, posts are taken the wrong way. It's understandable and that's why we try so hard to be civil. As far as the humor, this site is filled with it, but sometimes it is subtle, sometimes it's laid back, and often it's not funny. But, it's there.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Father?!? I thought that was her husband.
    Or maybe her brother.
    Maybe both.
    Maybe all three. (shudder)
    Well, since "her" bio says "living under a bridge", all 3 ARE possible!
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jones
    Just an observation, there are over 2500 members that have not yet contributed in a single post, either starting or responding. Dating all the way back to Feb. 2003. Com'on folks, belly up to the bar.
    While we do encourage posting, it is certainly not a requirement to take part in the forum. Last time I had calculated, we had 65% of our members logging in within a 3-month window, and over 80% in a 6 month window. We do have quite a few people who come out of being inactive after as long as a year. Some recently have emailed me who just started posting after having joined back in Feb. 2003. Bear in mind, we also have additional folks who have registered user names, but only log in when they want to post, so the activity numbers can be a bit higher. We also get between 80 and 120 new registered members per week.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

10. Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey
    Anthony,

Lurking is not an issue at all. In fact, there are usually many more lurkers than posters. One of the beauties of the site is the good it does for many who never post. I believe the post was started as a friendly attempt to make everyone feel comfortable. Sometimes when dealing only with print, posts are taken the wrong way. It's understandable and that's why we try so hard to be civil. As far as the humor, this site is filled with it, but sometimes it is subtle, sometimes it's laid back, and often it's not funny. But, it's there.

John
    Hi John,
    I originally found this site when I was, and still am, considering the Sawstop cabinet saw (The wife gave me the go ahead, but I have a hard time spending that much money over say a PM or unisaw). The civility and friendly nature of this forum keeps me coming back (too often, but don't tell my wife). I enjoy all of the humor. Especially if it makes me scratch my head (most of the hair is goine now, so that is easier ) and think (still not so easy). I think everyone can contribute something to this forum. Even me!? This thread has certainly got many people to think about posting and lurking (that word sounds so bad). In my previous post I was just wondering why this piqued someone's curiosity enough to start this thread. Thanks for all of your input on this forum, and maybe someday I will be able to make it to Greece and enroll in one of your kayak adventures (This will be the look on my face while in the kayak). Sincerely, Bill

This will be your face when you kayak Greece.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Does a member really exist if they don't make a noise?
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Does a member really exist if they don't make a noise?
    If a member makes a screw-up in the shop and there's no one around to hear, do they still use bad language?

I guess I am a little behind... my post count puts me at around the 700 mark overall...

I prefer to listen and learn, and occasionally post. The plain truth is that I am nowhere near the caliber of a good number of the members! Maybe some day I will own some stationary power tools (ie dedicated workshop) and "come over to the dark side"....

Of course, other things in life prevent me from being more active in woodworking and/or posting here too...
    Marc
    NWA Woodworker-Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    If a member makes a screw-up in the shop and there's no one around to hear, do they still use bad language?
    I think you just found your new signature line!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...