Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2500 members w/ 0 post

Lee,

Whenever anyone makes a mistake and registers with a handle they will often contact us to correct their login username. When this happens we edit their username, there is no need to delete their account and any posts they have made are automatically associated with the updated username.

The number of Members who have never posted in our Forums isn't surprising, some made mistakes registering and never returned, some are lurkers and some register for the FreeStuff drawings but never post. I expect that there are plenty of reasons that people remain inactive, it is certainly their choice. We discussed this issue a long time ago and it was decided that we would not purge our Member Accounts based on a time limit or lack of posts.

During our fund drive that John Bailey spearheaded the end of October many people registered just to contribute and many made contributions without registering. Honestly the content of our Forums is very popular and most of the time we have three times the lurkers visiting SMC as we do registered Members. Our goal has always been to increase our Membership in an effort to increase those who actively participate. Everyone has something to contribute, we are happy to see new and old Members alike jump in the Creek and post whenever they feel comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    being a semiliterate hillbilly who`s more grizzled than most, socially unacceptable in most circles and opinionated beyond belief must wonder what has become of my immage? next i`ll be shopping at the mall and driving vehicles for their status?????? never!! please fell free to chip in whenever it suits you. tod
    LOL Tod!!!!!!!!
    I guess we're more alike than I thought.

Some folks signed up because the used to be on Badger Pond. Some folks signed up and didn't like the overall format of the forum. Some folks just don't care to post, but only read the posts.

What we sometimes fail to realize? If we all "lurked" and never posted, then what would we be learning?

Moral of the story? Post away..!!!!! Someone will learn "something" from what you post at some point in time.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

[QUOTE= I wonder if, when a new signup gets reminded that this is a "real-name-only" forum, the old identity doesn't get purged...maybe Aaron just creates a new entry for their real name and moves the posts (if any). That would leave the original "fake" identity with zero posts, now and forever.[/QUOTE]

What is the harm in that?

I could easily come up with several hundred "handles" that would appear as fully common names, The humor would only be on the inside for me to enjoy.

I mean how the heck do you really know that my name is as it appears.

I have been called a fraud before.........

Joe (something)
    If sawdust were gold I'd be rich

[quote=Dennis Peacock]LOL Tod!!!!!!!!
    I guess we're more alike than I thought.
    stay away from my sister

As a long time lurker let me say that I visit this forum to learn and laugh. I will contribute whenever I can add value, but not just to echo somone else.
    I have noticed that whenever I feel that I can contribute to a thread, I usually find that somene else has already replied, reflecting my expertise or opinion. You folk who live online seem to get to the best answer much faster than us working stiffs.

For the record we are setting all time records this month with over 5000 visits per day and over 13.6 million hits and climbing. Our statistics are more impressive than just the number of registered Members. Those of you who are actively posting should be reminded that the information you share is valuable to thousands of woodworkers all over the globe. Isn't that why you choose to share?

Often the very best information that is published here is derived from a simple question from someone with minimal woodworking skills, the question is often as valuable as the answer.

It's working

Actually I just re-read my post. At the end I talked about being attacked for a low post count. I hope that the people here don't think I was being snotty to the person that originally pointed out his data about lurkers vs posters. I wasn't talking about being attacked here. Frankly I have never been attacked elsewhere either, but at least here I know that the value of my contributions will not be questioned just because I don't have 5000 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Frie
    Actually I just re-read my post. At the end I talked about being attacked for a low post count. I hope that the people here don't think I was being snotty to the person that originally pointed out his data about lurkers vs posters. I wasn't talking about being attacked here. Frankly I have never been attacked elsewhere either, but at least here I know that the value of my contributions will not be questioned just because I don't have 5000 posts.
    4997 to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Grout
    What is the harm in that?

I could easily come up with several hundred "handles" that would appear as fully common names, The humor would only be on the inside for me to enjoy.

I mean how the heck do you really know that my name is as it appears.

I have been called a fraud before.........

Joe (something)
    You post as JGrout on woodnet and are here trolling the "convent" as you guys put it. Get a life and get back into the shop and do something productive. Take Carl Stone with you as he is trolling also.

Normah.....did you mean Carl "Zinfella" Stone?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Mike,

No need to hold back any posts. The post made to this thread was filled with courtesy. That's all anyone asks. There are a lot of disagreements at the "Creek." But we choose to disagree with comity and civility. When we forget, we are reminded by others on the site. When that doesn't work, the moderators take over. They are great people and they do a great job.

As far as those reading this site and not posting, that's fine with me, for whatever reason. If they're reading, they must be learning and that's why the site is here. There is no better forum, woodworking or other.

Welcome to the posting world, hope you post more.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Mike, and anyone else, please don't hesitate to post when you have something to say. SMC's TOS is largely about being civil and certainly doesn't constrain one from being honest, straightforward and even having an opinion contrary to someone else...with 5000 members, we probably have 5001 opinions! By example, we don't allow profanity or similar because there are many members (and guests) who are not adults, not to mention adults who feel uncomfortable with such things...the lowest common denominator is to just not use bad language or excessively adult themes.

This is a wonderful community. Feel free to participate, hopefully with thoughts of your own. And if you still feel best just reading...no problem. Do come up for air once in awhile and say hello!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    with 5000 members, we probably have 5001 opinions!
    No, you are wrong.

As a long time lurker I also visit this forum to learn.

Not knowing much, I usually find that on the (very) rare occassions that I might add something, somene else has already replied.

While I admit to feeling somewhat guilty about benefitting without sharing, I reflect on the following:

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."--unknown
    "All work and no beer make Homer something, something."
    Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Normah Binti
    You post as JGrout on woodnet and are here trolling the "convent" as you guys put it. Get a life and get back into the shop and do something productive. Take Carl Stone with you as he is trolling also.
    An ugly rumor started in the Kuala Lampur Rockler store.