Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2500 members w/ 0 post

2500 members w/ 0 post

Just an observation, there are over 2500 members that have not yet contributed in a single post, either starting or responding. Dating all the way back to Feb. 2003. Com'on folks, belly up to the bar.
    Last edited by Doug Jones; 12-28-2005 at 11:28 AM.

That's a bit odd, but some of them may be lurkers signing up to be eligible for the "Free Stuff" drawings.

I suspect you'll find a bunch more with less than 5 posts: came in, asked their one question, and bailed. (Not to mention that recent clump of (possible) trolls...and I don't mean the Binta clan.)

my babble covers at least one lurker

Doug - How did you determine that statistic?
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Doug - How did you determine that statistic?
    Went to "members list", sorted by ascending number of posts and did the math. 84 pages of 30 members equals over 2500.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    That's a bit odd, but some of them may be lurkers signing up to be eligible for the "Free Stuff" drawings.
    I also noticed that out of the 2500+ that maybe a hand full were "2005 contributors".

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    my babble covers at least one lurker
    I don't care who you are,, now thats some funny stuff there.
    Last edited by Doug Jones; 12-28-2005 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks, Doug. Didn't know we could do that "sort" of thing.

Keith Outten posted this thread a while back and (on that day) we'd had 225 contributions as a result of the big push. And that works out to about 10% of posters. And that's pretty good.
    Only the Blue Roads

Doug, perhaps this is one I can actually reply to.

I signed up here some time ago, I guess earlier in this year. I am a sponge for woodworking knowledge. I also like to help when I can. The problem I see here is that folks don't live in this "Stepford Wives" world created and expected to post here. I am a real person and make real mistakes, especially when talking to people. Folks that know me like me, but I have never had to work as hard to communicate with folks as I see laid out in the rules here. I am a real person and that is what folks see, ME and no one else, I don't put on any special air or adhere to some special behavior.

Therefore, rather than offend the fine folks that do like to maintain themselves in a certain way, I refrain from posting an d just lurk (as Lee put it). I do visit and read, but I'll not take the chance that I will ruin the day for someone here.

I'm sorry if my straightforward reply has offended anyone, I DO feel it has, but I know no other way to express an answer to you question as one of those that you specify as registered but not contributing.

On SMC, I subscribe to the old adage "If you can't say something nice...." And since nice has been so well defined for this forums purposes, I just find it easier to keep quiet.

I would point out that you may have may an observation that bears a little more reflection and observation as to its cause and effect.

I am sorry to have offended with my candid reply. Please accept it as it was intended, an answer to the question, but perhaps not the only one.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dauphinee

I am sorry to have offended with my candid reply. Please accept it as it was intended, an answer to the question, but perhaps not the only one.

Mike
    Not offended at all, in fact what a great response. Glad to see ya here.

This is my 2nd SMC post. I come here to learn, not chatter. I do that at another forum.

BTW - I also contributed...my 1st post.

Cheers

mike, i for one am truly sorry you view this forum as an offshoot of the stepford wifes! being a semiliterate hillbilly who`s more grizzled than most, socially unacceptable in most circles and opinionated beyond belief must wonder what has become of my immage? next i`ll be shopping at the mall and driving vehicles for their status?????? never!! please fell free to chip in whenever it suits you. tod

Contributed? To what?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dauphinee
    Doug, perhaps this is one I can actually reply to.

I'm sorry if my straightforward reply has offended anyone, I DO feel it has, but I know no other way to express an answer to you question as one of those that you specify as registered but not contributing.

Mike
    Probably has, but.................

Welcome aboard, Mike!

I think I know you from another forum or three!
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

It turns out that I am one of those guys he was talking about. I thought I was properly registered but found out otherwise when I tried to reply to a post. Now that that is straightened out, I look forward to posting anytime I can contribute anything of value, which may not be very often given the skill level of people here compared to my meager skills.
    As for the "Stepford Wives" post. One of the reasons I like this forum is the high degree of civility on this forum compared to the other one. In the world we live in, rudeness and "attack communication" have become the norm. There is nothing wrong with a little politeness. The good thing about this forum is that some people have to be forced to be nice. I feel I can post here without immediately being attacked for something as inane as a low post count.

Did the sort thing and took a quick look at the "zero" posters: looks like a bunch of them are made-up "handles". I wonder if, when a new signup gets reminded that this is a "real-name-only" forum, the old identity doesn't get purged...maybe Aaron just creates a new entry for their real name and moves the posts (if any). That would leave the original "fake" identity with zero posts, now and forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Frie
    I feel I can post here without immediately being attacked for something as inane as a low post count.
    Uh, you obviously haven't noticed your name on the "Newbie Hall Of Shame" thread.

Just kidding.

Honest.