Thread: Replacing bearings on old jointer

Replacing bearings on old jointer

I have new bearings coming tomorrow. Ive removed the head and I'm not sure how to proceed in removing the bearing holders to replace the bearings.
    The jointer is a 1959 Delta Rockwell. According to Delta I need special tools to accomplish this task. Any sage advice to keep me from screwing up royally? TIA

You may need a bearing puller, etc., to do the work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John Olier View Post
    I have new bearings coming tomorrow. Ive removed the head and I'm not sure how to proceed in removing the bearing holders to replace the bearings.
    The jointer is a 1959 Delta Rockwell. According to Delta I need special tools to accomplish this task. Any sage advice to keep me from screwing up royally? TIA
    a picture of the head would help a lot
    probably something along this line, https://www.harborfreight.com/bearin...set-62593.html
    mine is an OTC still made in the land of never right just lioke the HF, just double the price.
    might be able to rent one at Autozone or a tool rental place, however it is handy to have one if you plan on working on motors, pumps and other machines in the future
    Ron

Does it look like the link below?

There may be a nut on the non pulley end that has to be unscrewed to pull that bearing off. Do that before removing the pulley. Dig around a while with an ice pick or scriber to see what is buried in the gunk before adding any force.
    There may be a threaded lock collar at the pulley end. You will need a hook spanner or a good punch and hammer to remove. On both my delta sander and tablesaw the bearing collar uses a 2 inch hook spanner or just under 2 inches.
    Do not be afraid to heat it up to 200 degrees or so so differential expansion can help.
    Bil lD

https://www.chicagopartsnetwork.com/...h-jointer.ASPX

Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a shot very carefully. I don't see any nuts on the shaft. Appreciate the advice

Could be a snap ring on the shaft end opposite the pulley.
    Bill D

I would look at the owwm.org site. There will almost certainly be a thread where someone has taken your jointer down to single parts, sandblast, paint, and put it together again with new bearings. A great step by step primer.

decent pictures here:
    Make sure to use sealed bearing not shielded.
    Bil lD

https://woodworking.astrosteve.com/2...w-for-jointer/

Just completed a change over to a Helical Cutter Head for a Griz Jointer, and I pulled the bearings with a gear puller purched at a local auto parts store. I needed to grind the tips down to fit the available space between the bearing and the cutter head, but the berarings came off without incident, and the cost of the puller was $15.00