Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staining my deck-Brush or pad applicator?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    But the lap marks man, the lap marks!
    Jeez, it's just a deck, not a piece of fine furniture, I guess , referring to another post , I'm not an "overkill" guy, just a "good enough" guy
    Dennis

Haha,

I knew this is how it would be taken.

I’ll just stop posting as I have been,

Watching a bunch of hacks across the street from me replace sills and window case. The house is sided, my neighbors asked me to do the work but know I hate general construction work. Anywho I suggested if they were gonn lop off the sills as they are rotting along with the case where they come together and their house is sided, “they might consider “ replacing everything with cellular pvc as the rest of the house has zero paint/wood or anything to rot.

So they got done with four windows yesterday. I’m drinking my morning coffee today and I notice them multimaster off a sill and replace it with what I think is cellular pvc from a distance. At the same time I notice they have one side of the casing excavated. Then I notice they are measuring that side and replacing it.

First thing I think is “what the bleep are you kidding me” your gonna replace the sill with cellular pvc then one or both side casings and leave the top old crap wood. To rot away. Then I think you know yesterday I’m pretty sure they replaced the sill and all three pieces of case on at least a couple windows. But they did it a piece at a time. Meaning not biscuits pocket screws or glue. Just joints waiting to open and let water in.

So you know when the headers or top casing goes and water infiltrates and get in between the storm ad. Window proper they can rip everything out and start again.

You know vrs replace all the case right now and sills. All pocket screwed and glued together on the ground. Then flashed hung and caulked into place proper.

And I saw the quote, they are paying for a A++ job so....

But lap marks on a deck I know but they make me cringe..

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Jeez, it's just a deck, not a piece of fine furniture, I guess , referring to another post , I'm not an "overkill" guy, just a "good enough" guy

Pad. I really don't how you would get lap marks, there are gaps between the boards.

I have seen a two gallon tank bug sprayer sold by one of the deck stain companies as special deck stain sprayer. I guess it is a poor mans airless sprayer.
    Bill D