Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staining my deck-Brush or pad applicator?

Blog Entries

Question Staining my deck-Brush or pad applicator?

It's time to stain my deck, I've always used a brush but have looked at some pad applicators which claim to be easier and give a better finished look. Anybody have an opinion on this?
    Thanks
    Dennis

I've done both and a pad is definitely easier, IMO. You can put one on the end of a stick and not have to bend over. A roller on a stick works good to, for the flat surfaces. A soft pad in your hand will let you grip around the railings and balusters, rather than poke a brush in and out.

I've always used a roller. Splatters a bit, but very fast.

I'd use a pad, but depending on the nature of the deck boards, you may still need to brush the "cracks/edges" to get full coverage.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Never met a piece of lumber that didn't have some splinter hiding somewhere waiting to impale my hands and fingers. For that reason only I'd brush or roll...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Sprayer makes quick work o staining a deck.

Depends on how large the deck is. I'm a fan of pads and they are my go-to whenever I'm staining my deck. But, if you have a huge deck then I might consider a roller.

Blog Entries

The pad worked !

Well I used a pad to stain my deck and it probably took about 1/3 the time compared with when I did this with a brush. I think the coverage was better too. I wish I had discovered this 50 years ago!
    Thanks for the advice.
    Dennis

I use a pad but I can't physically do the job so I have a college kid do it. It's easier to train them to use a pad.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Normally brush and roller as something always needs to be cut in.

When I hear pad I on a deck always envision like hardwood floors are finished and someone just throwing down a puddles of uneven finish.

When I stain decks I always work a few boards at a time their full length. I also always use a product that will allow me to put it on heavy, let it soak in a bit and wipe it off even with a rag as to not get nasty ugly lap marks.

Staining decks sucks. I just redid my front deck in 5/4x6 utile or whatever mahogany sub species. I’m not staining it and it’s killing me as I’ll never get that sweet mahogany look. But over the years I’ve refinished so many “sweet mahogany decks” that look not better than pressure treated..

We use a two step procedure. I apply the stain to deck with a roller. My wife makes a single pass across the surface with a pad to smooth the surface. We found that a roller alone left too mottled/uneven of a surface. And a pad alone was too slow, had to reload the pad too often. We usually work three boards the length of the deck to keep a wet edge and avoid lap marks.

The pad, like a roller, can be on a pole for easier application by those of us who don't "bend well" anymore...
    --

But the lap marks man, the lap marks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The pad, like a roller, can be on a pole for easier application by those of us who don't "bend well" anymore...

Lap marks can come no matter what applicator you use...
    --

That’s why you get down on your achy knees with your bad back and rub them out nice and even with a rag..

I get it Jim and I’m just being a jerk now. Most could give a rats rear about lap marks on their decks.

Well not enough to actually get down there with a rag. Now a paying client well normally they complain so that why I just even them out with a rag...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Lap marks can come no matter what applicator you use...