Thread: Dust collectors and VFD's

Dust collectors and VFD's

I need to replace the single phase motor on my dust collector and have a 3 phase motor that will work. I'd like to run it with a VFD but my current system uses a relay and garage door remote to start and I really like having that remote handy!
    Has anyone seen a VFD with a remote? Or is there another way to set that up?

wire the relay contacts to the input on the VFD
    by input I mean the input on the terminal strip for Start/stop (added for clarification)
    good luck
    ron

So since the VFD will be single Phase in, 3 phase out I should be able to use the same relays on the input side of the VFD?

Never heard of anyone doing that but I am sure it would work fine. It would be nice to be able to fine tune the motor speed on the dust collector if you are into taking air flow measurements and such. It might not need that much tweaking, but I am sure you could experiment and dial it in.

The VFD needs to have contacts and programming that permits remote on/off of the output side of the VFD. That shouldn't be a problem...CNC machines use that capability. You may need a different remote setup that current, however, since the control will likely be LV. (But I'm speculating on that...I don't do this kind of electronic work)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    So since the VFD will be single Phase in, 3 phase out I should be able to use the same relays on the input side of the VFD?
    relay goes to the terminal strip for all controls to connect, typically this is low voltage not exceeding 24vac, possibly as low as 5vdc
    NOT in the line side OR load side of the power. SO single phase, three phase and voltage do not enter into this
    posting a pic or link to the vfd you are wanting to use will make this a lot easier to explain
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    relay goes to the terminal strip for all controls to connect, typically this is low voltage not exceeding 24vac, possibly as low as 5vdc
    NOT in the line side OR load side of the power. SO single phase, three phase and voltage do not enter into this
    posting a pic or link to the vfd you are wanting to use will make this a lot easier to explain
    Ron
    Just to reinforce Ron's point, DO NOT switch the power into the VFD. (Even worse is to break or switch the power between the VFD and the motor.)

As he says, the remote relay becomes an input, or signal, to the VFD. Generally, you configure the VFD to ignore its built-in keypad and use the terminal strip inputs instead. How this is setup is highly dependent on brand.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-30-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks guys. It's good to know that it's possible to remotely control a VFD. I like to keep one remote on my apron and another on the planer (which is in the center of the shop). I still need to source a VFD so I'll just need to confirm that the one I chose has the inputs for remote control. I'll be really excited to wire this up!

Here is a copy of a diagram found on the web
    you would wire your relay in where the contact is shown between common and D1
    When selecting a VFD just look for this feature and you will be able to do what you want
    Ron

You will probably have to change parameters in the vfd to enable the remote terminals. This may or may not disable the onboard switches.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    This is completely doable. I don’t know that I’ve seen a VFD that doesn’t have this capability to wire a start/stop signal in. Using a remote controlled relay (you can buy nice ones for $10-$15) will work just fine.
    I’ve designed systems, programmed and used hundreds.