Thread: 3 Phase Nirvana

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

3 Phase Nirvana

I recently acquired this Rotary Phase Converter. I’d been on the brink of buying a 20 hp American Rotary for some months now and was tempted by their recent sale. As soon as I thought I’d made up my mind, I stumbled across this converter on eBay offered for a BIN price of $900 but open to offers. Knowing what these cost new (~$2400), I expected my offer of $750 to be denied, but alas it was accepted and here we are. I had it shipped to me LTL freight via YRC for just over $150 (from Indiana to NC.) I was very happy with both the freight price and service. It weighs a little over 300# and is pretty compact for what it is.

-Kay Industries 10 HP Phasemaster RPC
    -Manufactured in 2005 and used by a book company to run an industrial printer, apparently.

The Kay machines are rated by the biggest motor they will start, so this will start a 10 HP motor, which is more comparable to an AR 15 or 20.

This will enable me to power my 5 HP - 3 PH Tannewitz Model U table saw in my home shop as well as pull the trigger on one of the few 20-24” old iron 3 PH planers I’ve had a line on recently. I’ve powered an early 40s era Oliver 166BD 12” jointer with a VFD for the last few years and will likely keep it that way as I like the braking action on the cutterhead.

Ive also been on the lookout for a nice sized 3 PH drill press, so this will open that door as well.

Thanks to forum member David Kumm for his continuous advice on industrial grade machinery. He, along with a handful of others on this site, are wells of wisdom in this arena.

Now I need to figure out how to wire this thing Trying to figure out if I’m just going to put in a few receptacles or source and wire up a 3 phase breaker panel, etc.

Don’t worry, I’ll consult a licensed electrician before I do anything stupid. I’ll update this thread as things move along as a reference for anyone who may be considering this route in the future. After searching on a handful of different sites about RPCs, sizing them, wiring them, and using them, I wished there were more threads from folks who were new to 3 phase and their initiation into it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 05-30-2020 at 6:30 AM.
    Still waters run deep.