Thread: Looking to put full color designs on wood.

Looking to put full color designs on wood.

I am trying to figure out the best way to apply full color images/designs onto wood projects like clock faces and such I am trying to decide between Sawgrass SG800/1000 Sublimation system, The Magic touch a/b transfer paper system with an OKI printer with white ink base like the OKI Pro 8432WT https://www.themagictouchusa.com/ ) Or some kind of wet slip on decal system and I can not figure out as to what would be the best option, UV fade issues.. how to coat to lessen UV fade, protect the image from easy scratches or scraping and such.. anyone know about theses or other options to put full color images and designs on wood projects? Currently using just white or black vinyl decals for clock faces like these done by a friend of mine.
    FDFA269B-8CFF-4C00-ABED-1444DA9465DB.jpg Any suggestions or alternatives welcomed.

Another alternative is resin inlay after CNC pocketing, multi-step for multiple colors if they overlap.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You cannot dye-sublimate wood. The dye-sublimation process requires that the subttrate has a coating that will accept the ink.

You can use a laser printer to transfer ink from paper to wood, using a clothes iron. There are probably other ways to transfer, these are the only two I have used personally.

Thanks. I have a Onefinity CNC coming soon.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for late response, had a couple deaths in the family and lost interest in things for awhile.

There is also Oramask 813 which is an overlay film. It allows a surface color then mask and cut and paint or color the tool paths before removal. It doesn't adhere to bare wood well. At least a sealer needs to be applied. DAMHIK

I don't think you will be happy with the MagicTouch system for wood. I've had one for nearly 20 years.

Your most economical approach is probably decals. I have been outsourcing a UV printer service to put a complex image on mahogany and it is nothing short of remarkable. My supplier is using a Mimaki printer. We are approaching 1000 plaques without a reject.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7