Thread: How did you discover that Father Christmas was not real

How did you discover that Father Christmas was not real

I was about 7 years old and several children at school said he was not real .I viewed these children as naughty and did not believe them
    Then one evening I opened the door to a walk in cupboard at the top of the stairs where my toys were stored
    On opening the door I was knocked over by a child's pushchair which was my sisters Christmas present
    Mom and Dad said Father Christmas had put it there because he could not get it down the chimney
    I did not accept this explanation and then from that day I no longer believed

I did have to promise not to tell my younger sister and I did keep that promise regardless of what other children told her

After my sister also discovered the truth about Father Christmas we approached searching for presents each year as a military exercise Waiting till mom was out the house , then we would work together as a team systematically searching the entire house room by room
    This resulted in Mom and dad storing presents at the next door neighbors house and two children spending many hours of fruitless searching
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 05-29-2020 at 3:48 PM.

My mother told me when she thought I was old enough....
    Rod

best wishes Brian
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 05-29-2020 at 4:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    I was about 7 years old and several children at school said he was not real .I viewed these children as naughty and did not believe them
    Then one evening I opened the door to a walk in cupboard at the top of the stairs where my toys were stored
    On opening the door I was knocked over by a child's pushchair which was my sisters Christmas present
    Mom and Dad said Father Christmas had put it there because he could not get it down the chimney
    I did not accept this explanation and then from that day I no longer believed

I did have to promise not to tell my younger sister and I did keep that promise regardless of what other children told her

After my sister also discovered the truth about Father Christmas we approached searching for presents each year as a military exercise Waiting till mom was out the house , then we would work together as a team systematically searching the entire house room by room
    This resulted in Mom and dad storing presents at the next door neighbors house and two children spending many hours of fruitless searching
    When I got older it dawned on me that there is no sanity clause.

What???!! Noooooooo!!!!

When I learned that our chimney led to our furnace!

So I've actually entered the third phase of life: 1-- You believe in Santa, 2-- You are Santa, 3-- You look like Santa

IMG_0875.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    When I got older it dawned on me that there is no sanity clause.
    It's still funny !

I was in the 4th or 5th grade.
    My mom insisted I read this book about Kris Kringle.
    It went through his whole life about how he use to build toys all year and passed them out to all the village kids. It also went into how some tradition came about like leaving shoes or stocking outside.
    Toward the end Kris died but the kids still believed in him so they put their Stockings out anyway on christmas eve. Sure enough, all the kids stockings were filled the next day creating the magic of Christmas.

Once I was done with the book my mom explained where that magic came from. She convinced me that I was now old enough to share that magic with my younger brothers and sister.
    It was both heartbreaking but exciting because now I got to be in on the secret of Christmas.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Blog Entries
    You mean there's no Santa Claus????? Capture.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Its an old family story. I was age 4 and we were downtown shopping for Christmas. In those days, downtown is where everyone shopped and there were Santa bell-ringers on almost every corner. I saw all these multiple Santas, and turned to parents and said "they cant all be Santa, it must be not true". Been a cynic and spoilsport ever since.

What a wonderful method Jeff.....Regards, Rod

I don't remember how old I was. I had an older sister who snooped through everything (and still does) and she found santa presents hidden in our parents bedroom and promptly told us younger kids. I do remember prior to that, just about the time we were doubting his existence, we returned from a Xmas visit with grandmother to discover a book left on the fireplace hearth was covered with an ashy boot print. We were convinced it was Santa. Years later, I learned the neighbor did it when he came over to feed our parents fish. He apparently couldn't resist tricking us kids. LOL
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."