Thread: Inherited Felder CF 731

Inherited Felder CF 731

With the passing of my father-in-law we’ve inherited a Felder CF 731. It is not working. We’re not sure how much is needed to get it working again. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-30-2020 at 11:40 AM. Reason: More detailed title

Did it work before?

Besides turning on the main power switch, the emergency stop buttons have to be disengaged. That is, turn them so they pop out. Also there are several safety switches. For example, the sliding cover for the saw must be closed before the saw will start.

The original CF-731 combo machine likely sold for about $15-16K new.

Dennis's advice is sound for initial troubleshooting. Euro machines have MANY microswitches for safety and leaving one little thing disengaged will keep the machine from operating. And yea...that red mushroom button has to be pulled out since it's the emergency stop. Euro machines often have a master power switch, too, which is often a rotary switch. It's not always in an immediately visible location, depending on the machine and manufacturer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If it's a single phase machine, IOW ordinary 220, you may have to hold the start button for several seconds while the machine spools up. Might depend on what vintage it is.

Pushing the button and letting it go puts it in a safe condition of some sort, requiring a full power reset to clear it.

OP, you might indicate where you are. Perhaps there's a reader here who is near you and knows that machine.

I wonder if it would help to call Felder USA and get an operating manual? That should walk you through how to turn it on. Felder Group USA Tel.: +1 866-792-5288 ·

Also, Erik Loza, a member here is a Felder Rep. With luck, he'll see your post and help.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-29-2020 at 5:57 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I’m in San Diego. Haven’t tried any of the suggested methods for getting it running. Still trying to unbury it in the garage. Thanks for all the input. When it comes time to sell is there a preferred website to use?

Doubtful a Felder owner let something minor keep it from working. It's possible the electronics are shot, in which case a new board is needed at big $$$.

Regardless of whether you get it to run, you'll need to compile a list of what you have.

Is it a three phase machine running on a VFD , or standard 220v power ?
    Does it have variable speed?
    What accessories are with it ? Spindles, blades, stops, hold downs. cutters, ect...
    Does it have the mortise cart option?
    Scoring unit?
    Normal controls or Digi-Drive ? That can render it a boat anchor if it's shot.
    Manual cranks or power adjustments ?

last one I saw, sold for about 4grand w/variable speed and a router spindle

Preferred site is the one that gets it sold. The broader the coverage, the more opportunity you'll have to reach a buyer. Here is good. The FOG is too. So is the other FOG. Craigslist, eBay, FB Marketplace and the other sites too. If you have local clubs , ect.... won't hurt to market there either. Woodweb is a good place for more commercial machinery.

Holly, once you have it uncovered and things sorted, you can list it here at Sawmill Creek in the Classifieds...you just need to click on the "Donate" button up above and become a Contributor for at least $6 a year to have access to the classifieds. Combo machines that are appropriately priced sell, IMHO

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Holly, as Jim indicated you can place an add in the classifieds here by becoming a member.

I would suggest that you contact Felder and ask them to put you in touch with a local owner who could help you out.

I’ve done that a few times for people who suddenly find themselves in your situation.

If that doesn’t pan out and you become a member here, send me a private message and I’ll see if I can find you some help through the owners group.....Rod

Blog Entries
    Felder has technical support even on old used machines. Call them and they'll help you get it sorted out.

In addition, Felder has a used machine website. That's another place to list it.

Mike

There is also a "Felder Owners Group" with many helpful members who have experience troubleshooting issues from all vintages. You should try to get it running if not expensive as it will be worth a lot more if you can show it running to buyers.