Thread: Power Miter Saw Brake - New Life for an Older Saw

Power Miter Saw Brake - New Life for an Older Saw

I have a Rigid 12" miter saw that I have had for about 15 years. It has served me well but the motor/blade brake stopped working consistently (usually not kicking in until the motor had wound down almost completely).

An online search listed several possible culprits, one of which was brushes. The other possibles were all discontinued parts so, I ordered from Ereplacement Parts a set of brushes. $3 or $4 later plus shipping I received the brushes.

I compared the new ones to the old ones and they were almost the same length. I just about didn't replace them but decided - what the heck.

My understanding was the brushes would need to break in a bit for the motor brake to start working properly. The motor brake started working immediately just like new.

Anyway, thought I would post this if it helps someone.
    Last edited by Kris Cook; 05-28-2020 at 6:27 PM. Reason: Accidentally hit "Enter" which apparently publishes your post...
    Regards,

Kris

Are these just the regular brushes or something else just for the braking circuit? I know Harbor Fright includes a spare set of brushes and springs with many of there ac/dc tools. I think their metallurgy is so bad they wear fast and also lose spring tension.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Are these just the regular brushes or something else just for the braking circuit? I know Harbor Fright includes a spare set of brushes and springs with many of there ac/dc tools. I think their metallurgy is so bad they wear fast and also lose spring tension.
    Bil lD
    Bill - just the regular brushes. If I understand correctly the current flow is reversed when the switch is released, thus slowing/stopping the blade.
    Regards,

Kris

Thanks for the post Kris. My 30 year ryobi sliding miter box has the same problem. Then the brake started working again. Think I'll just order the brushes.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

My old Delta 12" CMS is the same way...when the braking went away, it was time to deal with the motor brushes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...