Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can a blade Change - change a saw??

In this case, you clearly put a heavier blade on the saw. A heavier, stouter blade is going to be more resistant to flex and other distortions and "should" perform noticeably better than a less expensive, thinner blade. Low powered saws are often equipped with thinner kerf tooling to help make up for the lack of cutting power, but that can also be counter productive when things start to wiggle. I was never a fan of the lighter blades for this reason...I'd rather have to cut slower. So I'm not surprised you saw and improvement using a better blade on your current saw. Since quality blades can last a long time and often can be sharpened more times, when you do get the beefier saw down the road, a good blade or three can follow you to that new machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Might just be me, but I don't think a contractor saw is going to provide better dust collection than a jobsite saw.

Most of them have a totally enclosed blade underneath exiting at a dust port. Few contractor saw's have that. And all are open at the rear.

There are are some good reasons a contractor saw is an upgrade, but dust collection isn't one of them.
    Amen brother. My TS3650 has a sawdust port sized to fit exactly zero available dust collector or shop vac hose sizes. I'm lost count of how many adapter kits I've purchased in vain. I let it dump on the shop floor and vacuum it up when I'm done.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I used "lesser" table saws for at least 40 years before buying PCS1.75. I made a lot of furniture for myself and my kids with them. The last one was a Ryobi BT3100. It had a universal motor but was belt driven. I think it handled regular kerf blades better than my PCS. The PCS does OK with a full kerf cutting wood up to about 2 inches. But I had a VERY difficult time ripping legs for a bunk bed built of softwood with full kerf ripping blades. A freud 24 tooth did noticably better than a new Infinity blade but both required a really slow feed rate. Then I put a thin kerf blade on and it was almost night and day difference. Regular feed rate worked fine. The legs finished out at 2 3/4 square.

I think using a regular kerf blade for most cutting may work well for you but you might still need a thin kerf around for really deep cuts. Right now I am trying to go the other way and find a good thin kerf. I have a Freud 'fusion' on at the moment. There was one piece of softwood it produced a really rough cut on. But recently I ripped a piece of 1 inch thick oak and the cut was super smooth. So the jury is still out. I have a 50 tooth Freud thin kerf waiting in the wings.

I really like Freud "industrial" blades and may just discontinue buying others. I will definitely not buy another Infinity. Their 50 tooth burns worse than any other blade I have used and the 24 tooth requires more power than my saw has. I might love a Forest if I ever bought one but if I get all I need out of ~$50 Freuds I see no reason to go there.

I used a Bosch jobsite saw for my first few projects when I started woodworking. I had it built in to a nice large tablesaw workstation, which made the effective surface of the top much larger. It was "good enough" at that time, and I learned a lot using that saw. It was inexpensive, didn't take up a lot of space, and not intimidating. Dust collection, while present, was not great even with a powerful shop vac. I did not anticipate getting some huge cabinet saw...at first. But as my projects got larger and more sophisticated, with thicker lumber especially, I outgrew it. The imperfect miter saw caused issues. It was not compatible with a full dado stack. It was very loud, and I frequently overloaded the motor, even with multiple passes in thick pieces. Now I do have one of those large cabinet saws - and I have no idea how I ever got by with a jobsite saw...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    I don’t mean this to be offensive, but ignorance is bliss.

Also, it depends on your expectations from a table saw. I have 3 very different table saws and they all have a purpose and are different enough for me to keep around. One is a newer Dewalt jobsite table saw on a rolling stand that lives in the jobsite and has a sawhorses/plywood outfeed table behind it and had a sub ~ $40 rip blade on it pretty much all the time
    and I am generally pleased and happy with what I ask of that saw and expect in terms of accuracy. I can roll it around the job site or pick it up and throw it in the van and set it up literally anywhere with power...that’s worth a great deal to a professional carpenter / on site woodworker. It weighs less than 100 #

I also have an older Powermatic 66 that lives in my shop with large outfeed and side tables, cross cut sleds, dust collection, several different types of blades, 52” Bies rip fence. This saw can handle full sheets of plywood and support them without sweating. I’ve also used this saw extensively for joinery - tenons, grooves, rabbets, dadoes, etc and can handle a decent amount of thick hardwood ripping with the right quality rip blade, though depth of cut is limited to 3” like any 10” cabinet saw. It weighs ~ 500#, is on a mobile base but doesn’t typically ever move unless I have to re-arrange to accept a new machine coming in the door of the shop.

I also have a much older (late 40s era) Tannewitz Model U 16” saw (that can take up to a 20” blade if desired) that is a beautiful chunk of cast iron and steel and is more precise and well machined than Powermatic could ever dream to be. Micro adjust fence, 2 factory miter gauges, several different style and size blades, large cast iron top and plenty of power. The depth of cut (up to 6” with the 20” blade) is very handy for heavy duty ripping, or working with any sort of smaller dimension timber size stuff, which I tend to do on a fairly consistent basis. This is not really a plywood saw as the rip fence maxes out around 24” or so, but for ripping or precise joinery it is amazing. It weighs around 1300# and does not move.

I say all this to bring up the point that it really depends on what you’re doing, how picky you are, to what level of precision you’re working to, and how much / little tolerance you have for working on a machine that maybe wasn’t designed or optimized to do the types of operations you’re asking it to do. I still feel like the only thing holding me back from
    a sliding table saw is primarily lack of space in my current shop (and current budget) but even that can be solved eventually.

Id say to continue in bliss as long as you can, until you happen to use a nice cabinet saw enough to notice the differences.
    No offense taken at ALL. All of the replies have been great.This is actually exactly what I was looking for as far as information on the subject. Especially this in depth 3 saw analysis. Thank you, I am not offended, while at the same time not apathetic enough to be content (a precursor of bliss) so I “gotsta know!!!” I feel like I do now. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bernstein View Post
    I used a Bosch jobsite saw for my first few projects when I started woodworking. I had it built in to a nice large tablesaw workstation, which made the effective surface of the top much larger. It was "good enough" at that time, and I learned a lot using that saw. It was inexpensive, didn't take up a lot of space, and not intimidating. Dust collection, while present, was not great even with a powerful shop vac. I did not anticipate getting some huge cabinet saw...at first. But as my projects got larger and more sophisticated, with thicker lumber especially, I outgrew it. The imperfect miter saw caused issues. It was not compatible with a full dado stack. It was very loud, and I frequently overloaded the motor, even with multiple passes in thick pieces. Now I do have one of those large cabinet saws - and I have no idea how I ever got by with a jobsite saw...
    Thank you for your notes on the matter. I can’t run mine on a 15amp breaker but it has handled everything I’ve thrown at it as long as its on a 20 amp tap. The thing is equally powerful/loud but I use hearing protection almost always because my dust collector annoys me - I’m sure I’ll feel the same way once I get a shot at making a project on a “real saw” so I’ll just avoid anyone with a unisaw or better until I can afford said saws