Thread: Dw735 Won’t start. Please help!

Dw735 Won’t start. Please help!

351AC837-3B82-4D44-A224-821080D313F0.jpgHi everyone. Hopefully someone77A8B49E-E155-4A2B-91D6-C96FD67B3FD5.jpg6D76AA21-CB7E-4502-84DB-028C0522DE32.jpg on here can help me out. I recently bought a used dewalt DW735 planer. The last owner said that the brushes in the motor were burned up so he replaced them, only to have them burn up again within a few minutes. He said that he then could not get the planer to turn on at all. He did upgrade the cutter head to a Shelix prior to this happening (not sure if that plays into the brushes
    burning out) I also found a broken chain tensioner on the right side behind the height adjustment wheel.

Could it be the armature? Is the whole motor shot? I don’t have A lot of knowledge of motors besides what I’ve looked up about this.

I got the unit for $300 with the outfeed tables, mobile base, and shelix head, so I’m hoping I got a steal and can get it running again!!

thanks in advance

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Wrenn; 05-28-2020 at 2:12 PM.

I curious about your thought process of buying a machine with a bum motor when you don't know anything about motors. As Clint Eastwood so eloquently said in Magnum Force, "A man's got to know his limitations"

I think you got a good deal. Worst case, you replace the motor.

Brushes wear due to arcing and friction - I'm not a brushed-motor expert, but I can't imagine how they could "burn out" in a matter of minutes. Doesn't make sense.

I would start by fixing the mechanical issues. If the mechanism is binding or tight, that would be putting even more load on the motor.

Then, remove the brush covers and inspect what's under there. If the PO replaced the brushes and couldn't get it to start afterwards, it's probably just a matter of failing to correctly make electrical connection to the brushes. There must be a wire or conductive brush holder or something that may not have been properly connected.

Looks like a good project!

This was my thought process. Worst case, I have a $500 cutter head in great shape, a $150 mobile stand, and $50 outfeed tables for another 735. I figure for $300 that’s not a bad deal. If I can get it running, even better.

In today's economic crash, 735 parts may not be worth nearly what they were last year. I see a lot of optimistic pricing on social media sites yet, but would be shocked to see those things selling. A very good friend of mine has rebuild and sold over 600 woodworking machines in his lifetime. He's lost money on every single thing he's sold the last couple of months. Machines that he used to have a waiting list for, now go for less than half. His new approach now is to start selling parts, hoping that there are still some hobby rebuilders. But with unemployment claims passing 40 million, parts won't be worth much either. I wish you all the luck and hopefully an easy fix. Maybe you will be able to find a used part to get this going too.

Thanks Richard, hoping the same.

Tim, my bet is the commutator is severely burned and pitted due to the arcing when the original set of brushes burned up. If that’s the case, it’s probably cheaper to replace the motor, or sell the head and remaining good parts.
    cheers
    Sean

Check the switch that gets depressed when top is in place. You should be able to look at the brushes. Are they mangled and jamming the armature?
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    Check the switch that gets depressed when top is in place. You should be able to look at the brushes. Are they mangled and jamming the armature?
    Dan
    Yes...the safety switch could be an issue. My 735 died while in the middle of planing a wide board. I thought I threw the breaker, but it turned out to be the switch.
    Chris