Thread: Another simpletons Tip O' the Day from the Village Idiot

Another simpletons Tip O' the Day from the Village Idiot

Basic, rudimentary, but effective.

If you have ever put together one of those wire shelf units with the plastic sleeves that hold the shelves, this tip may be helpful. Especially if it is already together and you decide to move a shelf in the middle up or down a bit.

You manage to get three corners started, but the fourth simply won't slip over the plastic sleeve as it should. No matter what you try, the fourth sleeves slips out of the little groove and slides down the upright.

Tip: With the three good corners started, but not tightened, use a clamp or a helper to hold the shelf down on the slippery fourth sleeve. Take a 1" open end wrench and slip it under the sleeve and tippity tap it up into the sleeve with a hammer under the wrench. It's a perfect fit on the sleeve.

Simple, but it took me a couple hours to learn it.

My village has not lost it's idiot.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Or use a metric crescent wrench. I just did this the other day to install a compression splicer on the sprinkler line. I have no idea what setting the crescent wrench spacing was.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Or use a metric crescent wrench. I just did this the other day to install a compression splicer on the sprinkler line. I have no idea what setting the crescent wrench spacing was.
    Bill D

It's always nice to have a metric adjustable wrench. Bought a second adjustable wrench, just because on the handle showed metric size. Knew having metric sizes would come in handy one day, as older one only did Imperial sizes. Now that's a crock of bovine fertilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    It's always nice to have a metric adjustable wrench. Bought a second adjustable wrench, just because on the handle showed metric size. Knew having metric sizes would come in handy one day, as older one only did Imperial sizes. Now that's a crock of bovine fertilizer.
    I remember when sears sold little stick on rulers to convert your adjustable wrench to metric.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I remember when sears sold little stick on rulers to convert your adjustable wrench to metric.
    Bill D
    If you are buying a new set of wrenches and the metric set is the same price as the imperial set it is cheaper to buy the metric set and fill in the sizes that are not interchangeable than it is to purchase the imperial set and fill in with the metric sizes:

Metric to SAE Wrenches.png

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just yesterday I needed to open a glass jar with some paint in it. It was stuck and being 105 I did not want to go outside to get a rubber jar opening thing from the kitchen. I had a used hook and loop sanding disk nearby. Sand side to the lid, fleece to my hand. Worked well. I thought my hand might slip on the fleece but no problems.
    Bill D