Thread: 2HP TEFC Motor making whistling sound

2HP TEFC Motor making whistling sound

I have a Craftex CX400 2HP dust collector. The DC is basically brand new, although I bought it 2nd hand from someone so I really just can't return it. It's making a whistling sound just as the motor is stopping, after you hear the 'brake' click on - within the last 2-4 seconds just as the motor comes to a complete stop. Like many others I've seen do this, I changed it to a 2 stage with a Super Dust Deputy XL and wall-mounted it (the impeller horizontally and motor vertically). I have been installing my DC (with duct work) over the last couple weeks and got it running a week ago and it did not make this noise until the humid temps started in the last two days or so.

It seems to be coming from the end with the fan, so I took off the end cap and the fan (just a set screw) and also removed the dust cap which is a metal plate that has a rubber seal around the motor shaft. I turned the shaft by hand and didn't feel any play or hear any noise from bearings.

I did not feel comfortable starting the motor with the metal plate and rubber seal off, but if someone thinks that'd be okay for testing I could try it. Again the motor 'brake' would be exposed. At least I think it's the brake mechanism.

I put some graphite spray on the shaft and then slid the rubber seal down and replaced the other parts. The noise seemed to stop at first but then it came back.

Would white lithium grease or another grease be better?

I had started the motor many times before the sound started so I'm hoping its just this seal and lubrication is the answer.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    It's not a brake that you hear engaging, it is the centrifugal switch mechanism. Some additional noise is normal when this happens & there is nothing to be done about it. If you can post to sound file of it winding down it would be helpful.

Thanks Frank and yes, thank you for the correction. I will try to get a recording of the sound and get that here.

I just watched two videos of people replacing the centrifugal switch on VERY similar looking motors. One Grizzly tech support video, and another of someone replacing one on a Sawstop contractor saw. The motors looked very similar to mine (as I'd assume they would - we all know many of these things are made in the same factories.).

In the video, when taken apart, the fan and dust cover appear the same. What was interesting is that neither had the rubber seal around the motor shaft at the dust cover. I might try to remove that and see if the noise goes away. Any concerns if I keep it off? It's not like a TS motor with dust constantly around it.