Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is This Adequate Electrical?

With the cost of fuses today I would replace that fuse box with a breaker box. Probably find something used on craigs list. It should cost less then the price of two boxes of fuses.
    Bil lD

You can buy a new panel for $15 from Hoe Depot. Double that for two breakers. or get a used panel with breakers on ebay. Probably pay more for shipping then a new panel and breakers would cost.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-29-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    With the cost of fuses today I would replace that fuse box with a breaker box. Probably find something used on craigs list. It should cost less then the price of two boxes of fuses.
    He doesn't own the property...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bil lD

You can buy a new panel for $15 from Hoe Depot. Double that for two breakers. or get a used panel with breakers on ebay. Probably pay more for shipping then a new panel and breakers would cost.
    He doesn't own the property and it may not be as simple as just replacing a panel. That is the main service entrance & changing the main service, in many jurisdictions, requires that the entire electrical system be brought up to, or near to, current code.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    He doesn't own the property and it may not be as simple as just replacing a panel. That is the main service entrance & changing the main service, in many jurisdictions, requires that the entire electrical system be brought up to, or near to, current code.
    This, see my signature for more elaboration Seriously, that can become a nightmare depending on jurisdiction, etc.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I see he is in San Francisco so it will be major money to get it approved. It is not to code as it is since SF requires conduit or mc cable everywhere. I do not know if they allow plastic conduit or not but, I doubt it. You are not allowed to pump your own gas there either.
    Bil lD

I think the suggestion to pull the fuses and see if anything still works is something I would do. I noticed you said that the property managers input says all your stuff will go off but I would not be surprised if circuits are shared between units.

My track saw, a DeWalt, pulls 12 or 13A. I think inrush between a universal and induction motor are different but using the track saw may tell you something about whether this will work.

Three houses ago I had a single 15A shared circuit (garage and 3 bathrooms) and that did not work for my table saw. I put in a 20A circuit for the garage/shop. My guess is this will work but only if you can limit other loads fairly severely.

To whoever commented about a dedicated circuit for a refrigerator you should be aware that is a recent requirement and many houses do not meet it. It is also not a NEC requirement that it be dedicated unless it is a 15A circuit. A 20 A circuit can be branched according to the current NEC. Modern frigs are quite small loads (1-2A) and a dedicated circuit is just not necessary - other than if it is a building code requirement. But one circuit for a condo hasn't met code for a long time, perhaps forever.
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 05-31-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Is it possible that what you see is acting as a sub panel that just runs the garage. Maybe the manager doesn’t really know or he’s pulling your chain. I’m only asking because that seems a little stingy for a whole residence. Heck, my grandfather’s single story 2 bedroom cape had a 50 amp service that looked similar to what’s in your picture. I’m told that was built on a shoe string budget back in the 30’s

I run my table saw from a 20A shared circuit.

Things to watch for:
    - any other loads (i.e., don't use a toaster oven, microwave, or dust collector on the same circuit at the same time).
    - may still have issues in a really thick cut or if the wood pinches your blade

Having spare fuses on hand is a good idea.

Matt

Hard to believe that is the service for entire unit.

I've seen houses built 75 years ago that had 50A services.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Hard to believe that is the service for entire unit.

I've seen houses built 75 years ago that had 50A services.
    I've lived in more than a few houses that had 20amp service. Back when all you were doing was lighting a home, that's all you needed.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

At least the outlet is grounded and GFCI. My family house built around 1950 has a 40 amp panel. No ground wires beyond the main panel. Of course no air conditioning needed in the San Francisco area and only gas heat and stoves.
    Bil lD.
    On edit. That GFCI may not be grounded, but it would be legal and safer then just a grounded outlet