Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you clone a drive is the source drive left completely in-tact?

When you clone a drive is the source drive left completely in-tact?

Have a 1TB disk drive in my primary laptop and it has started to make a tiny bit of noise on boot. I cant be without this machine, have a spare but this is my day to day and hate to switch. Ordered a Crucial SSD, dont have a spare bay so was going to just clone the 1TB disk to the SSD and swap. I have everything backed up to the cloud and external disk but my paranoia still kicks in. Will the disk drive in the laptop be completely as-is right now and usable after I clone it (Acronis) incase something goes haywire?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Have a 1TB disk drive in my primary laptop and it has started to make a tiny bit of noise on boot. I cant be without this machine, have a spare but this is my day to day and hate to switch. Ordered a Crucial SSD, dont have a spare bay so was going to just clone the 1TB disk to the SSD and swap. I have everything backed up to the cloud and external disk but my paranoia still kicks in. Will the disk drive in the laptop be completely as-is right now and usable after I clone it (Acronis) incase something goes haywire?
    Iys been my experience the cloned drive is not altered on any way.

I've done it a dozen times. 2 times it just wouldn't work for unknown reasons, but it never hurt the source disk.

Thanks so much guys. Sets my mind at ease a bit. I have the backups but dont have time to start from scratch

I don't know any clone software that modifies the original disk when you clone to another disk. I've had situations where I cloned a disk and the new disk wouldn't boot. I was able to put the old disk back in and have it work perfectly.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm in a similar situation; I want to upgrade to a newer computer but don't want to manually transfer all the software, or use the old HDD. Can anyone recommend a bulletproof method or software solution for fully cloning a drive, including the boot partitions and everything else necessary to run?

Thanks

Sometime the boot files don't transfer over. Remember that most of the time you will need the same size or larger drive then the one you want cloned

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I'm in a similar situation; I want to upgrade to a newer computer but don't want to manually transfer all the software, or use the old HDD. Can anyone recommend a bulletproof method or software solution for fully cloning a drive, including the boot partitions and everything else necessary to run?

Thanks
    A couple months ago when I finally upgraded from Win7 to Win10, I went through the same. Wanted to keep my old bootable disk, but didn't want to reinstall everything on a new Win10 build. So I cloned my Win7 disk onto a new (SSD) drive. Then pulled out the Win10 drive and booted from the new cloned drive. You couldn't tell the difference at that point. Then installed Win10 (as "upgrade") on the new disk.

I used Macrium software for making the clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Sometime the boot files don't transfer over. Remember that most of the time you will need the same size or larger drive then the one you want cloned
    There is software that will copy to a smaller disk, as long as your used space will fit on the smaller disk. For example, if you have a 1TB drive and you want to copy to a 800GB drive, it will work as long as you haven't used more than 800GB on your 1TB drive. One SW I know of that will do that is EaseUS Partition Manager. I'm not sure if the free version will do that but the pay version will. Not that expensive and they have sales all the time.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I haven't used Windows much since XP so keep that in mind. I would create a Windows recovery drive. If the new drive didn't boot try the repair device. It's not a bad idea to have such a device anyway.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...recovery-drive

Anything that actually clones (block by block copy) a drive should leave them both identical.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I have cloned a few drives using Seagate Discwizard (free on the Seagate site) and just select the drive you want to clone to and check bootable and you're done..

Blog Entries
    Interesting how folks approach things differently. For a Windows based system I look at a move to a different platform as an opportunity to clean up all the garbage Windows gathers as part of its operation. I just recently went through this to move off of an 8 year old i7 machine and onto a nearly new i7 SSD machine. I do regular backups so doing a quick incremental backup prior to moving is no big deal.

Do a fresh load of Windows, grab all the upgrades and patches, load your data files (I do this prior to loading the apps because I sometimes don't remember all the apps I need ) and load and license all your software. Ahhhh, a nice fresh Windows machine. I use Revo Uninstaller to load / track applications and have for years. It does a great job of uninstalling the app and (most times) ALL the other stuff that the regular uninstall process leaves behind when you upgrade a product or remove one that you no longer want.

@mike stenson, Dig your sig line ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Interesting how folks approach things differently. For a Windows based system I look at a move to a different platform as an opportunity to clean up all the garbage Windows gathers as part of its operation. I just recently went through this to move off of an 8 year old i7 machine and onto a nearly new i7 SSD machine. I do regular backups so doing a quick incremental backup prior to moving is no big deal.

Do a fresh load of Windows, grab all the upgrades and patches, load your data files (I do this prior to loading the apps because I sometimes don't remember all the apps I need ) and load and license all your software. Ahhhh, a nice fresh Windows machine. I use Revo Uninstaller to load / track applications and have for years. It does a great job of uninstalling the app and (most times) ALL the other stuff that the regular uninstall process leaves behind when you upgrade a product or remove one that you no longer want.

@mike stenson, Dig your sig line ;-)
    That has been my tact for years. I have always been fairly fussy/nit picky about keeping my machine tidy on my end at least though I know that doesnt apply to all the OS junk and updates etc.. But when you are completely covered up with work, and dont have the time to start from scratch re-installing, arranging, getting everything back to just the way it was when you left it, you simply dont have those hours to spare. And they are hours. The install, setting up, re-loading, arranging desktop, blah blah blah. I really use to actually enjoy that whole process and most definitely enjoyed the dead clean snappy machine however it took time.

My motivation would be to start clone before bed, toss machine in my bag in the A.M. along with my travel mug, land at the shop, stick in the new drive, and get immediately back to work without a single hiccup. Id love to have the extra hours for the clean install and downloads of all the apps, passwords, log-ins, plug ins, and the like.

But I dont. Nor do I have the time to find/learn/download any management applications that would handle all or some of that process for me.

With the iPhone, if you buy a new iPhone - or even reset your old one - iCloud will restore your device to exactly the way it was without any effort or activity on your part. I don't see why Microsoft can't do the same thing with Windows 10. You could just sign on to your new machine and tell Microsoft to restore to this device. Microsoft has a record of all your apps and their serial numbers so they can just disable them on your old machine.

Even if they couldn't do every third party application it would greatly reduce the effort to go to a new machine.

Mike