Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When you clone a drive is the source drive left completely in-tact?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I'm in a similar situation; I want to upgrade to a newer computer but don't want to manually transfer all the software, or use the old HDD. Can anyone recommend a bulletproof method or software solution for fully cloning a drive, including the boot partitions and everything else necessary to run?

Thanks
    The problem with this (as I understand it) is you can only use a cloned drive in the original computer. A different computer won't recognize the Windows you're running, nor its registry, nor any of the machine's drivers. You can use a cloned drive as a slave in the new computer, that way all photos, notes, program job files, etc can be accessed. But any programs installed into the registry will have to be done manually onto the new computers drive...(someone correct me if I'm wrong!)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    With the iPhone, if you buy a new iPhone - or even reset your old one - iCloud will restore your device to exactly the way it was without any effort or activity on your part. I don't see why Microsoft can't do the same thing with Windows 10. You could just sign on to your new machine and tell Microsoft to restore to this device. Microsoft has a record of all your apps and their serial numbers so they can just disable them on your old machine.

Even if they couldn't do every third party application it would greatly reduce the effort to go to a new machine.

Mike
    It's a complexity of sources issue. For your iCloud example, everything that is installed on your iDevice is downloaded from a common repository. This is not the case for applications on computers (doesn't matter the OS to be honest).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    For a Windows based system I look at a move to a different platform as an opportunity to clean up all the garbage Windows gathers as part of its operation.
    @mike stenson, Dig your sig line ;-)
    This is one of the nice things about being a *nix guy, I don't generally worry about these things.. and thanks.. it seems to be my life at times
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    The problem with this (as I understand it) is you can only use a cloned drive in the original computer. A different computer won't recognize the Windows you're running, nor its registry, nor any of the machine's drivers. You can use a cloned drive as a slave in the new computer, that way all photos, notes, program job files, etc can be accessed. But any programs installed into the registry will have to be done manually onto the new computers drive...(someone correct me if I'm wrong!)
    This is generally true, but there is software out there that can "generalize" an image so that it will boot and run on dissimilar hardware. One such program is Paragon Hard Disk Manager, which I use both at home and at work to image hard drives to new units. It's fast and reliable.

Note, however, that just because Paragon can generalize an image for you doesn't mean that you can legally transfer your Windows license to a new machine. Microsoft had restrictions on transferring the license to new hardware, and may refuse to activate it in certain cases.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I believe you are right Kev.... just like you can't take a drive out of one computer and use it as the primary drive in another computer... just won't work...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I believe you are right Kev.... just like you can't take a drive out of one computer and use it as the primary drive in another computer... just won't work...
    You can, absolutely, but not if you're running windows