Thread: Alumalite (SP?) Amazing Clear Cast Resin: Anyone use it?

Alumalite (SP?) Amazing Clear Cast Resin: Anyone use it?

Trying to find a good, waterproof coating for some wood Beer Mugs; Found something called Alumilite Amazing Clear Casting Resin. Says it's FDA approved.. has anyone here tried this product, and how were the results? Tried figuring out how much of the Resin it would take to coat the inside and outside of a standard Beer Mug, could not get their calculator to work for me. Any idea how much it would take to do a standard sized Beer Mug ?

Thanks,

I use it all the time for casting projects of various kinds. For your application (coating inside and out of a curved surface), the epoxy itself would be fine, but you are going to have great difficulty in getting an even coat. The epoxy has to be applied while still very liquid, and it will run/drip off of a curved surface...you won't have much luck waiting until the epoxy has gelled - by that time, it isn't going to spread evenly. What I have read (never tried myself) is people arranging a holder of some kind and then using a very slow rotation either on the lathe or using a motor from a bbq spit to turn the container for hours while the epoxy sets up.

For your application, you will likely be better served by a finishing resin rather than a casting resin. The consistency will be easier to work with. Casting products are designed for deeper pours. Finishing resins are for surfacing...more like the resin equivalent of clear coating.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...