Thread: Need Settings for CO2 Laser for Ka-bar knives with black finish

Need Settings for CO2 Laser for Ka-bar knives with black finish

I've been struggling with getting a clean burn with my CO2 on the black finished KaBar knives. Using my 40-watt epilog mini, it took about 5 runs and then a trip to the buffer to get anywhere near an acceptable engraving. It still looks a bit blurry and "over-exposed" with the loss of detail. See the photo.

Anyone willing to share what's worked for them? I still need to run about 5 more blades and would like them to turn out better. I've got both 75-watt & 40-watt machines (don't ask me why I started with the mini?)

Ka-Bar1.jpg

Thanks for any input
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

I don't recall my settings but I do remember doing 2 passes (only) since the first one always left a slag of paint/coating. I remember using simple green to clean them (and it always turned the rag pink). Never had to use a buffer. What settings are you using?
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clumpner View Post
    I've been struggling with getting a clean burn with my CO2 on the black finished KaBar knives. Using my 40-watt epilog mini, it took about 5 runs and then a trip to the buffer to get anywhere near an acceptable engraving. It still looks a bit blurry and "over-exposed" with the loss of detail. See the photo.

Anyone willing to share what's worked for them? I still need to run about 5 more blades and would like them to turn out better. I've got both 75-watt & 40-watt machines (don't ask me why I started with the mini?)

Ka-Bar1.jpg

Thanks for any input
    I only have a 25W so I use GSLA RD-6150 Pearl Metal Marking Material... JDS and Johnson Plastics are on the Distributors list. LMM 6150 Pearl

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Hey Chris,

good tip with the simple green, I use ZIP 505 which didn't really work on the slag. I started at 100% power and 50% speed at full frequency, then progressed up down to 15% speed. Maybe I'll hit it with the larger laser next time?
    Bruce Clumpner
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

I'm not understanding-?

I'm not familiar with KaBar knives-- What kind of coating is on the blade? Is it thick, thin? Are you just bare-bones engraving or using any kind of Cermark?

It's been a long time since I've engraved a black knife with a C02 (the fiber does just a phenomenal job!)
    bkknfs.jpg

I blew up your photo--
    k2.jpg
    --the engraving looks 'mottled', which I wouldn't expect from a C02, as it appears the metal is mottled.
    Is that the paint/coating, that refuses to burn away clean?

The only suggestion I have at this point would be to try the 'less is more' approach, like 20% power, around 50% speed and up the resolution some (if slag is a problem)--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Bruce
    I do some Kabars for a Marine unit here but I use a diamond.

Focus Marine.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Null; 05-28-2020 at 5:04 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hey Kev,

The coating/paint is pretty thick. Not sure if it's paint or cerakote, but it's tough. So I did as you said, started low and fast to see how the paint reacted. Didn't dent it at low power, kept upping the power and lowering the speed to get where I finished. I believe it's paint slag, as the metal in the sharpened areas of the knife seem smooth enough.

I wish I had access to a fiber. Anyone in the OC with a galvo willing to help me out and take a shot?

Thanks.
    Bruce Clumpner
    Irvine, CA
    -
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav