Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help from an arborist

Blog Entries

Need some help from an arborist

I have two red maple trees in my front yard planted about 35 feet apart.
    The bark on this tree looks pretty normal.
    20200522_110455.jpg

The bark on this second tree has large bark scales curling up from the trunk.
    20200522_110434.jpg
    Is this normal for a maple tree, if not is there anything that I should do to cure whatever is wrong with the tree?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Looks to me like both are too far in the ground. You should be able to see a flare all the way around, that area is like
    a tree thermostat . I would remove some dirt.

To my eyes, they are different species...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

im with jim, maybe a silver and a norway? have to see the leaves.

Look different , but that is possible even if the seeds came from same tree. That's why nursurys graft .

Can you post close pics of the leaves?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Any chance the second one is a silver maple? That is similar to what the bark looks like on mine. I can't quite see if the leaves are different on the two trees.

IMG_7557.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Can you post close pics of the leaves?
    Here is a photo of the leaves. The one on the left is from the shaggy bark tree, the one on the right is from the smoother bark tree.
    20200527_172748.jpg
    Apparently they are different trees. I never actually put the leaves side by side before this.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-27-2020 at 7:37 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Isn’t anybody going to ask what that can is hanging in that second tree? It looks like a muffler.

I’m no help on the tree species. I have one with bark like that, but its a hickory and quite big.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    Isn’t anybody going to ask what that can is hanging in that second tree? It looks like a muffler.

I’m no help on the tree species. I have one with bark like that, but its a hickory and quite big.
    the bird house? seems perfectly normal to hang from a tree if one is a bird house.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    It is a bird house made from 4 inch pvc drain pipe. Wrens and Chickadees use them. I have several hanging from trees around the property. If you look closely at the first photo there is a white bird house hanging from a branch in the upper right corner of that tree as well.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-28-2020 at 8:14 AM.

I'm guessing the leaf on the left is a Red maple, and the one on the right is a Sugar maple.

Neither is Sugar, Silver, Japanese, Striped, Norway or Sycamore Maple. There are many more that I'm not familiar with. The shaggy bark tree is probably an exotic in your area.

Blog Entries
    The smoother bark tree is definitely Red Maple.
    My Red Maple Leaf ------- Exemplar Red Maple Leaf
    Unknown maple.jpgredmaple-300x241.jpg

Here is the other leaf from my yard....Different exemplar of red maple
    red maple.jpgexemplar-maple-leaf.jpg

It appears that both could be Red Maples, but the difference in bark is strange.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

There are so many variants of Maple (and other species) that sometimes it can make one's head spin! They tend to get grouped together sometimes from a practical perspective with some entities that sell trees, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...