Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unusual things your mum taught you that you still unconscionably do

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    I remember my mother telling me how she had to keep me on a leash when I was a little boy in the early 50s,

that might be the root cause of some of my mental problems ..

and why I love dogs so much!
    Joe, a little knowledge can sometimes do more than psychiatrists. Your mom
    was only commenting on REAL child leashes that were available then. They were sold with the halters. My Mom would
    threaten to buy one when we saw them, I never believed her....but would behave a little more ,just to be cautious.

It's funny what our parents teach us.

I was about 5 years old and out shopping with my parents.

My father held the door open for my mother, and I attempted to waltz in, in front of her.

My fathers hand hit the right side of my head, causing the left side to rebound off the door, and he said "Don't ever walk in front of your mother again"

You know, more than 50 years later I don't think I have ever walked in front of a women, I wouldn't recommend his instruction method although it seems to have been effective

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Matthew View Post
    My mother was a stickler about her purse. If she wanted something that was in her purse you brought her entire purse. Never, never did you ever reach inside for the item she asked about. I still do that with my wife to this day.
    My mom is exactly like that! Never ever ever reach into that purse.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    ”Singlet” is also the correct term for that garment in UK and Australia.

I’d say my mother taught me how to be a good listener.
    And it's used for a type of running shirt in the US.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Matthew View Post
    My mother was a stickler about her purse. If she wanted something that was in her purse you brought her entire purse. Never, never did you ever reach inside for the item she asked about. I still do that with my wife to this day.
    When my wife tells me to get something from her purse I bring her the purse because I could never find anything in her purse.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ditto Mike and Kent. There's no way I could ever find anything in that 10 pound piece of luggage.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    My mom is exactly like that! Never ever ever reach into that purse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    When my wife tells me to get something from her purse I bring her the purse because I could never find anything in her purse.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Ditto Mike and Kent. There's no way I could ever find anything in that 10 pound piece of luggage.
    Ditto!

Reaching into a purse kind of frightens me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Ditto!

Reaching into a purse kind of frightens me.

jtk
    When I was younger, yeah that long ago, my wife's sister's purse was sitting on the couch in their home. I wanted to sit down so I moved the purse to the floor, wow was it heavy, so I asked her sister what do you have in this thing rocks? She said no she knew everything that was in it. A while later while others were occupied, I went out side and found three flat rocks 2-3" in diameter and about 3/8" thick and slipped them into her purse. She didn't find them until more than a week later.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    I can remember on grocery store trips mom saying about a million times, "Do NOT mash the bread". The loaf of Wonder bread was carried independent of the grocery sacks, because it was special. Today, every grocery trip I still think, do not mash the bread.

I wish my wife's parents had taught her that. Can't think of many things that tick me off more than a smashed loaf of bread. Worst is at check out, loaf of bread is put cross wise on bottom of plastic bag. Even if it's the only thing in bag, when you pick bag up, there goes your nice loaf of bread.

turn a pillowcase inside out. Put your hands inside in the corners, and grab the pillow by the corners, pull it into the pillowcase while turning the good side down. Really irritates my wife when she sees me do this. So does rolling a pair of socks into a ball.
    She also taught me (along with teachers at the time) that you should always complement a woman on her appearance when you first see her. Not acceptable practice now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    And it's used for a type of running shirt in the US.

Mike
    RE: Singlet... wrestler call their entire uniform a singlet. Rowers wear pretty much the same uniform, but all it a uni.

Commonly known as "tank tops", too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    turn a pillowcase inside out. Put your hands inside in the corners, and grab the pillow by the corners, pull it into the pillowcase while turning the good side down.
    That sounds like a trick worth trying. Trying to hold a pillow under my chin has never worked for me. When young my trick was to balance on top my head and direct it to fall into the pillow case. That doesn't work too well on plump feather pillows.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Talking about pillow cases my wife taught me an old flannel pillowcase is great for cleaning a ceiling fan blade. Carefully place it over the blade, so the blade is inside the case, then rub the dust off top and bottom as you withdraw the case.
    Bil lD

To make bed immediately after rise from bed at morning... I got myself doing that several times even at hotels! :-)