Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unusual things your mum taught you that you still unconscionably do

Unusual things your mum taught you that you still unconscionably do

As a child I was taught to lift my vest ( undershirt) up and hold it under my chin when I got dressed and still do it today and this puzzles my wife

I understand her puzzlement
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

My mom taught me to hold pillow under chin when replacing the pillow case. Also was to wash the pots and pans as cooking. When you sit down to eat, there isn't a pile of dirty pots to be washed. Never leave the house with dirty dishes in the sink. Ain't nobody going to do them while you are gone!!

Smile

unconscionable=shockingly unfair or unjust, excessive or unreasonable, or unscrupulous.

I still hold the pillow under my chin like Mom taught me, but I try not to do it unconscionably.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    My mom taught me to hold pillow under chin when replacing the pillow case. Also was to wash the pots and pans as cooking. When you sit down to eat, there isn't a pile of dirty pots to be washed. Never leave the house with dirty dishes in the sink. Ain't nobody going to do them while you are gone!!
    I do pillows that way but don't know if it originated with my mother. I've always been a habitual cleaner while cooking and that's how I'm teaching my daughters to do it, too. It's not just about not having the mess to deal with after the meal...it's actually easier to clean certain pans when they are still warm. My carbon steel stuff requires immediate cleaning. It only takes a few moments after I've plated. (we don't do family style here)

My mother taught me to cook, bake, sew, do laundry and all the other tasks necessary to live in a household. Same for my brother.

----

And Brian...I'm with your spouse. I want my tee shirt IN my pants, not over it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Put the toilet seat lid down when you’re done.

Hi Jim
    Let me explain I was born in 1957 and I live in the United kingdom The item of clothing I am referring to is called a vest in the Uk. It is worn underneath a shirt with the purpose of keeping you warm ( no central during heating in the 1960.s)
    I was taught to hold my vest under my chin when putting on on my pants ( 1960.s form of boxer shorts )

Further when going to the toilet as a child because your vest was usually too long. I would hold it under my chin so I did not pee on it

Contrasting Uk and USA words

UK word trousers,..... USA word pants

UK (1960.s ) image pants

UK image 1960.S vest

Last edited by Brian Deakin; 05-27-2020 at 7:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    I tried to teach my daughter to leave it up when she was done. Didn't go so well.

To improve my sons aim when he was very young I put a table tennis ball in the toilet

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    Haa...I'm the one in the house that required them to be down. I hate open toilets. It was a challenge for Professor Dr. SWMBO and our two daughters, but for the most part...they learned. This didn't come from my mother...it's all me. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    Hi Jim
    Let me explain I was born in 1957 and I live in the United kingdom The item of clothing I am referring to is called a vest in the Uk.
    I was also born in 1957, but obviously on a different side of a very large body of water. We have the vests here, too. Some folks call them that but there are a number of names used. Some folks even refer to them as a "beater" but we don't' need to go there. I never prefered that style, but have known a number of folks who wore them. I had them when I was a kid for sure. There's good logic in the process you describe, however, especially for a child.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As a child I was taught to lift my vest ( undershirt) up and hold it under my chin when I got dressed and still do it today and this puzzles my wife
    Our mother taught us all that it didn't take any extra effort to be nice to someone. And while it sometimes does take effort to help someone, it's good for the soul.

And learning to play musical instruments was an essential part of life.

JKJ

Probably the most important promise my mother asked me to make before she died was to always talk to my sister and never break that promise regardless of what happens in our lives or relationship
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 05-28-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Hi Jim
    Let me explain I was born in 1957 and I live in the United kingdom The item of clothing I am referring to is called a vest in the Uk. It is worn underneath a shirt with the purpose of keeping you warm ( no central during heating in the 1960.s)
    Hello Brian,
    To add some fuel to this fire, when I was growing up in India, we referred to the garment you're describing as a singlet. I always thought it was a holdover from British colonial days, but perhaps not.

Edwin

My mother was a stickler about her purse. If she wanted something that was in her purse you brought her entire purse. Never, never did you ever reach inside for the item she asked about. I still do that with my wife to this day.

Always hold the door open for someone - doesn't matter if it's a he or a she, older or younger, friend or stranger - hold the door open. And smile.

If the other person holds the door open first, always walk through - don't argue about it - and say "thank you." And smile.
    Last edited by Gary Ragatz; 05-27-2020 at 11:55 PM.