Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring Flood Damaged Equipment

In this case I think the state is going to have to pony up. It could take some time but there's lots of actors in this that didn't do the right thing. The company that owned the dam is most likely not going to be able to afford the damage. But from what I understand the company was sued by the state when they lowered the water level to mitigate the risk and were forced to raise it back up. Usually when something is declared a federal disaster there's money available. Hopefully it works out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Wow. So whole towns and cities will have to be abandoned because of this. Welcome to the future, sadly.
    It's pretty much always been this way. Read your homeowner's policy...it's very likely that there's specific language that precludes flood damage. This is why folks who have homes within the 100 year flood pattern have to cover separate flood insurance to get loans. In the case of a major flood like this, Federal and State disaster relief helps to cover the cost of rebuilding and loss for businesses and homeowners. There may be other factors in this particular situation because the flood is the result of dam failures.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's pretty much always been this way. Read your homeowner's policy...it's very likely that there's specific language that precludes flood damage. This is why folks who have homes within the 100 year flood pattern have to cover separate flood insurance to get loans. In the case of a major flood like this, Federal and State disaster relief helps to cover the cost of rebuilding and loss for businesses and homeowners. There may be other factors in this particular situation because the flood is the result of dam failures.
    Dams owned by a for profit corporation. This could take a decade before any cash flows.

I was watching James Hamilton’s YouTube blog yesterday about the dam breaking and the resulting issues.
    He said the dams were privately owned, and were unprofitable anyway, therefore no prospect of rebuilding. My assessment is that the dam owner’s insurance company could be on the hook, but you know insurance companies.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Not that I want to turn this into a debate over the dam but in 2018 the state took over oversight of the dam when the operator lost their federal license to generate electricity for not adding an additional 4 spill ways (they wanted to add only 2). The state then sued the dam owner for lowering the water level saying that millions of fresh water mussels were killed. After loosing the private company was forced to return the level back to it's original unsafe level. With the amount of money lost something would have to pass in congress to proved federal relief money for those who suffered a loss. I have no clue what insurance the private company had but they will most likely realize it's going to reach the max and counter sue the state. Meanwhile the company is most likely going to file for bankruptcy. I'm not sure even if Michigan has the funds to cover this.

Folks, I'd prefer that this post didn't turn into a discussion of the politics surrounding the situation. I would be happy to hear more suggestions for restoring flood damaged equipment though.

Thanks,
    Davre
    Last edited by Dave Bunge; 05-29-2020 at 2:17 PM.

Removing Rust

Any advice on removing rust? I found a thread from 10 years ago https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ove-rust/page4

Soaking or scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend or Evaporust seemed to be pretty popular. Is there anything new on the scene since then?

Evaporust is mostly EDTA in water. EDTA in water soaking will chelate rust pretty well. Evaporust has stuff in it to keep the PH at the best levels but EDTA is cheap. It will neutralize about one pound of rust for one pound of EDTA. I just make a glacial solurion and soak stuff in it. Best to fully submerge the stuff for there is risk of etching water lines. I buy my EDTA from ebay as a powder.
    It is safe enough that people eat it to clean out there system?
    Bil lD

I think this is evaporust:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20040102344

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bunge View Post
    Any advice on removing rust? I found a thread from 10 years ago https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ove-rust/page4

Soaking or scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend or Evaporust seemed to be pretty popular. Is there anything new on the scene since then?
    Search YouTube for rust removers. There's tons of content on comparing rust removal methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bunge View Post

For removing rust off tables, I prefer to start with a single edge razor blade in a scraper handle. Does a great job getting off the thick stuff and your choice after that.

Guessing he is having to focus on his basement and getting it back into shape before he has power turned back on? But to the machines I would start by drying and coating the cast iron surface,pull the motors then take the plate off where wires are and rotate them to drain out the water. If possible if he could put them in room that is dry with a humidifier sure would be big help in getting them dry. But flash rust is for certain.

If the rust is pretty heavy I would use a 4 1/2" grinder with a wire cup wheel. Wear eye protection and a mask. It'll remove most of the rust quickly but it will be dusty so do it outside. For the final step on the flat surfaces I like to use a little oil and some silicon carbide snadpaper with a block. Like sanding wood just keep going up to finer grits until it looks as smooth as you would like.