Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Drill Press - Jet?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The key factors here are the depth between the center of the tooling to the column of the machine and the vertical travel of the quill. Both of these items affect what work can be done with a drill press. Benchtop machines typically have more limits in these dimensions than floor drill presses. And while it's true that a benchtop can live...on a bench...the effective floor space is essentially the same for both a benchtop and a floor model if you put the former on some kind of mobile stand. The bottom line...the kind of work you want to do is going to determine what you choose. My first...and only...drill press was/is a Jet floor standing model that I've had since 2000 when I setup my shop. It's the only remaining machine from that initial buy as there's been no need to upgrade it other than putting a woodworking friendly table/fence on it.
    Your first point (the depth between the center of the tooling to the column) is the one that I have found most frequently to be limiting. The second (the vertical travel of the quill) is something I can usually work around. Additionally I have sometimes wished the table could drop lower. That actually isn't all that rare of a wish.

Floor models don't necessarily get you better dimensions on these features though. In some cases there are a floor and a bench top with identical dimensions other than whether it is a floor or bench top form factor. In the case of mine the floor model would have been identical otherwise I really would regret choosing the bench top. As it is I only mildly regret it. As it is, if buying today, I'd buy a more "industrial strength" floor model.

One thing that folks haven't mentioned... A floor model might actually have a smaller footprint in many cases since the stands folks build are typically bigger than the bases that come with floor models.

A feature I'd consider really nice would be easy speed change. Moving belts is a pain and I am lazy so I am often at the wrong speed for the task at hand. A VFD drill press would be great for someone who, like me, is too lazy to swap belts to the correct pulleys for the speed needed.

My DP is the most used machine in my garage shop. I use it for WW, metal working, clock restoration, etc. Get the best floor model you can afford, with the longest spindle or quill travel. If you can, get an electronic variable speed...best thing I ever did. If you stretch your budget now, this could be the only DP you'll ever buy and you'll save a lot of $ not having to buy and sell your way up. Good luck and happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    Your first point (the depth between the center of the tooling to the column) is the one that I have found most frequently to be limiting. The second (the vertical travel of the quill) is something I can usually work around. Additionally I have sometimes wished the table could drop lower. That actually isn't all that rare of a wish.

Floor models don't necessarily get you better dimensions on these features though. In some cases there are a floor and a bench top with identical dimensions other than whether it is a floor or bench top form factor. In the case of mine the floor model would have been identical otherwise I really would regret choosing the bench top. As it is I only mildly regret it. As it is, if buying today, I'd buy a more "industrial strength" floor model.

One thing that folks haven't mentioned... A floor model might actually have a smaller footprint in many cases since the stands folks build are typically bigger than the bases that come with floor models.

A feature I'd consider really nice would be easy speed change. Moving belts is a pain and I am lazy so I am often at the wrong speed for the task at hand. A VFD drill press would be great for someone who, like me, is too lazy to swap belts to the correct pulleys for the speed needed.
    It's true that a floor model doesn't guarantee larger capacities, but for the most part, it's about the only way to actually get them without going with a radial DP and that brings other kinds of complications. As to quill travel, there have been times when I've wished for a little more than the very generous amount that my Jet 17" provides.

I think that the only complaint I have about my particular drill press...and would be one shared with most of them...is that there's nothing to keep a rectangular table aligned with the quill center when cranking the height up and down. It doesn't matter as much with the round metal table that's standard on the machine, but once it's equipped to better serve woodworking needs with a larger, rectangular table and fence as is typically the case, it moves around a lot while unlocked for cranking to height using the rack and pinion system that most of them use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like being able to spin the table around the column on the one here, I can move it about 45 degrees to have the bit come down about 1/2" from the edge of the round table for drilling tuner holes, or I can push the table completely out of the way so I can stand a guitar under the quill to drill and ream the endpin hole. I guess it all depends what you're mostly doing with it.

Thanks to all for the great comments and information. As I mentioned, I've never used a DP before so your replies have been extremely helpful in understanding what to consider and look for in a DP.

I'm leaning towards the Jet 15" floor model, partly just because it's in stock (the 15" benchtop or 17" floor are backordered until late July). All of my projects in progress/upcoming should not be hindered by the relative short 3 1/8" quill travel. Murphy's Law, however, dictates that as soon as the 15" arrives I'll need the 5" quill travel of the 17" model. I still may go with the 17" - July will be here before you know it.

BTW, the Nova Viking looks like a really sweet DP, but shipping is extra at both Rockler and Woodcraft which pushes the price to almost $1,100 plus tax - sadly too far over budget for me.

Thanks again.

I saw somewhere (some wheelwright on youtube) where the guy had a benchtop drill press mounted backwards at the front of a workbench (the column was near the front of the bench), and he swing the head around to use it like a floor-standing drill press. Of course the table-quill distance was still limited, even when swung around to the front of the bench, but he used other fixtures to hold things in front of the bench.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

The Viking has shipping included at ACME, and is only a c-note higher than your budget. Worth the xtra down the road certainly.

Rub is, it's outa stock at many places. Word has it that a container of them is coming next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I think this one is for sale near your posted location. only $700 for six of them. Keep one and sell the others
    Bill D.
    https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tls/d/elk-grove-village-drill-press/7130002173.html

https://salem.craigslist.org/tls/d/k...131000545.html
    Bill what are those use for, I have seen them with 3 in roll mounted on one heck of a table. But don't have clue of their purpose

Wish I would have gotten a 1hp or higher model. Mine occasionally is underpowered.