Thread: First Drill Press - Jet?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First Drill Press - Jet?

I’m looking to get my first drill press and I’m not sure if I should get a benchtop or floor model for my small garage workshop. If I get a benchtop drill press I could build a moveable stand – an advantage given my space limitations – but I don’t know if it will be sufficiently versatile and powerful for amateur woodworking, e.g., building pieces of furniture, built-ins and cabinets for my house. A floor model might be more than I need, though, and would cost more. I’m looking at the Jet JDP-15B Benchtop 15″ drill press and the Jet JDP-17 17″ 3/4HP drill press. Both are currently on sale, the 15″ at $679 and 17″ at $849, but the 15″ is out of stock with a delivery date of late July. There is also a 15" floor version, JDP-15, going for $764. A prior version of the 15″ benchtop, the JDP-15M, was rated Best Overall in a 2007 FWW tool review.
    My questions:
    1) Is it worth the extra $85 or $170 (plus tax) to get either of the floor models?
    2) Does anyone have experience with a Jet drill press?
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts or recommendations.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-27-2020 at 8:56 AM. Reason: Defaulted text so it's readable on large screens