Thread: Stanley 750 vs Narex classic vs Narex premium?

Stanley 750 vs Narex classic vs Narex premium?

Hi All,
    My wife wants to get me something for fathers day. Chisels came to mind. I'm currently using a assortment of vintage socket, harbor freight, 1 Narex Classic and 1 buck bros. I still don't really have a set. Most of the vintage I picked up, just because I found them for a few bucks. The problem I have with my vintage, is some of them are bowed / banana shaped. It makes it near impossible to flatten more than about 1/4-3/8" and even that seems like a chore. My one Narex classic I have seems like a good chisel, but I don't have a lot of reference to compare it to. The only beef I have with the Narex classic are the big bulky handles. When doing mortise work I grip just the tip and I feel like the big handle acts as a counter weight. Not a huge issue, but if I'm getting new, then I will avoid if possible.

I threw in the Narex premium only because the handles look less chunky, I would assume steel is the same?

I'm a low level hobbyist, I have diamond,ark & sandpaper, so sharpening isn't much of a issue. I've thought about going the 1 premium at a time route, but like I said I'm a low level hobbyist, and for 60-80 per chisel just seems really excessive. If I have to sharpen up a few times in a project then okay.

What are your guys thoughts? Any other chisels I should be looking at?

Thanks
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    ... Any other chisels I should be looking at? ...
    So much is how they feel in your hands for how you work, I think it's largely personal preference.

I believe the Narex Classic and Premium differ only in their handles and lots of people get good use out of either. The modern 750's have a good rep too. The Narex Richter is supposed to have better steel with daintier Classic-style handles. Other brands you might want to consider are Ashley Iles, Pfeil, and Woodriver socket chisels. OTOH- I don't think you can go wrong picking up the premium lines, (Lie-Nielsen, Veritas, Blue Spruce,) as you need them either. Basically YMMV and best for you won't necessarily be best for anyone else.

A recent thread may give you some more ideas:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....chter-or-Pfeil

The Narex Richter is much, much better than the other Narex types. I also prefer it over the 750's, for steel and feel.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

One school of thought say buy the tool that is beyond your current skill set. That way, you know it is you at failt and not the tool. The other school of thought says buy what is a[[ropriate for your current skill set and upgrade as or if you feel the need. Either way, go for whatever feels best in your hand. That said, I have an aversion to all things modern Stanley Black & Decker. Some persausion of Narex should keep you very happy.

Narex Premium handles are pretty bulky. I like the chisels, but dainty they are not.

Ugh, sorry about photo orientation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    The Narex Richter is much, much better than the other Narex types. I also prefer it over the 750's, for steel and feel.
    Oh thanks Tony, now you bumped up the budget again 🤣 I read the item description on them and they sound very nice.

Yes I understand Stanley it not what it once was. The 750s seem to get more favorable reviews than not, so that's why I was willing to roll the dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Narex Premium handles are pretty bulky. I like the chisels, but dainty they are not.

Ugh, sorry about photo orientation.
    Thanks Nathan.
    For my socket chisels, I ended up turning the handles to my liking, but I've since got rid of the lathe.

I agree with both. I'm a hobbyist and as such, don't need the best of the best, want yes, need no. When it comes to the workplace I always buy better tools / equipment for our shop. Time is money in that scenario. For me, if I can't cut one last dovetail because I have to sharpen up, no biggie.

Yes I understand Stanley it not what it once was. The 750s seem to get more favorable reviews than not, so that's why I was willing to roll the dice.
    The 750s are decent, just do not feel as well in my hand: this subjective feel is the same for original Stanley socket chisels and LN socket chisels. For me, I like the Ashley Ilse butt style and round backs, best of all.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

The Narex premium are available unhandled, but hard to find in stock. There is a 6 piece set on eBay now. They come with ferrules so you could turn handles to suit.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    I would vote for the Narex Richter. You do not need to get a set, just get what you need. for me I would be happy with 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and a 1 or 1 1/2

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    The Narex premium are available unhandled, but hard to find in stock. There is a 6 piece set on eBay now. They come with ferrules so you could turn handles to suit.
    Thanks John, I sold my mini lathe so making my own handles is no longer a option.

Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    I would vote for the Narex Richter. You do not need to get a set, just get what you need. for me I would be happy with 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and a 1 or 1 1/2
    Yes, the Richters are definitely looking more appealing. Thanks

Thanks John, I sold my mini lathe so making my own handles is no longer a option.
    Lathe is my first thought to make handles too, but plenty of people have made them without lathes. Traditional tools, like drawknives & spokeshaves, to fancy jigs on bandsaw or router table. Simple octagons with a slight taper at each end wouldn't take too much imagination to make with whatever you have in your tool set.