Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scm Nova 520 jointer

scm Nova 520 jointer

Anyone have experience with the SCM Nova 520 jointer?
    I am comparing it to the Felder A52L for a purchase.
    I'm leaning toward the SCM machine.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Mine has been perfect for 20 years other than the dust boots rot off in about ten years and are kind of pricey. I think they all come with Tersa heads, not sure, but I would recommend.

I'd check the differences between the nova and class series if SCM still makes both and then compare to the Felder ( Format ). I believe the Felder is their format series which has a spring joint mechanism. Weight will tell you something as bases have been lightened up by both over the years. I'd also want Tersa. I'd also ask what tolerance each table is spec'd to. Dave

You prefer the Tersa over the Xylent” spiral knife?

For a jointer, yes. I don't use a jointer for a final surface and don't want to dilly around swapping inserts if I nick one. If no upcharge for the insert I'd be OK but would not spend extra for one. Better ways to spend. Flat tables, stout base, and thick castings are more important to me. Dave

That makes sense. What about horsepower. How much?
    SCM seems to offer the Nova in 6.6 and 8ph.

Hi Larry. Thanks for the help.
    I'm trying to figure out how much room I need to allow to the right of the SCM, since I need to position the machine next to a wall. If necessary, I can cut a hole in the wall for rod that the fence rides on. There are very few videos out there on this jointer, so hard to know.

Also, in the main SCM video, the operator is manipulating the fence while standing on the right side of the machine. Is it practical to have the unit, say, 15" from a wall and adjust the fence from the left side of the machine? Acharya.

if a jointer fence is to the right then yo need room for the bar when the fence is pushed to the right, im cutting a hole in the wall for a 20" jointer so the bar can extend out if need be, that way the machine is close the wall

Id look at weight of each machine, even my old SCM stuff is heavier than the newer stuff cause of how the bases were made. I have some number of SCM machines and have had no issues other than bad wiring in one of the 55 year old ones the other 55 old one had a run of diferrent wire and was fine. I have old school knives and fine with that.

Not sure if its still available, but there was just a felder 20" standalone jointer for sale in the midwest somewhere. Whole kit of Felder format/900 series stuff, if i remember correctly. Only a couple of years old, but maybe something worth looking at if you are OK with used equipment and buying second hand.

I have a 16" jointer with a 3 hp motor, and it's been sufficient. Seems like 6.6 hp on a 20" machine would be adequate unless you plan on frequently hogging off full width cuts.

I own a 16" Paoloni jointer with a 5.5 h.p. three phase motor.When I first got it I edge jointed a 2"x 8" at full cut depth (7/8") it did not even slow down. Everything that I have face jointed since is the same thing. I figure 6.6 h.p. will be plenty.

If it were me I would opt for the SCM unit over the Felder. The SCM jointer is going to be better made and have higher quality parts I would assume. I would love to find a used SCM jointer of any size as they are some of the best out there. I came across one locally last year and made the guy an offer which he refused. It then sat on the market for 6 months as he was too high on his price then eventually sold it for less than I offered him. Go figure.

Thank you. All this is very helpful.

The SCM jointer is going to be better made and have higher quality parts I would assume.
    might just be the most ridiculous thing I've heard this week. What are you basing this assumption on ?

You have to compare model to model. SCM class is close to Format, Nova is more towards the 900 series than Format. The two companies are pretty competitive so a 10K machine from either is close to equal in quality of build. Italian stuff tends to be a little rougher but heavier compared to Austria but that is still a generalization. Best bang for a jointer is used industrial. Not much to go wrong with used and the price is half or less. Dave