Thread: Table Saws...are either of these worth my time

Table Saws...are either of these worth my time

I have two vintage table saws available that are within 45 minutes of me. Are either of these worth my time as a second table saw?

1st one is a Clausing 10" 2HP that is complete with the fence and currently operating.

2nd is a Delta Milwaukee Crescent 12" w/ 1" arbor and the fence. Also currently operating.

Both seem to have light rust and are supposedly wire for 220, Single Phase.

Are either of these good vintage saws? What should I be aware of, if I go look at either of them? Values?

Is the Delta a 12/14? If so, that’s the better saw. Price?

Pics would help.

I would recommend the Delta since it’s a 12 inch saw and you will never need another one. Join OWWM and there is a ton of information for both saws.
    Don

Update: Yes the Delta is a 12/14. They're asking $800.

That’s a pretty good deal on the 12/14. It’s a much bigger saw than the Unisaw for instance. The blade is quite a bit more forward than a typical saw, which can make it awkward to push material passed the blade. I’m not trying to discourage you, but when you go to check it out, maybe do a test cut to see what it’s like using it.

The Delta may have an arbor that unscrews so you can replace it with a 1+1/8 or get a 5/8 arbor made. There is no supply of new arbors any more. Grizzly made some for their copy but those are long gone. It is just like a unisaw only about 25% bigger. Side wings weight 60 pounds each. The tabletop is about 200 pounds. It will not go through a 36" door with the top on. Is the arbor long enough for a dado blade? I can measure my 1+1/8 if wanted.
    Total weight is about 950 pounds. Table comes off with four bolts. Do not take the table off with the wings attached unless you have a crane. It took some time and thought to get the top back on mine with only one big guy.
    I did get it through a 36" door with no top but I had to angle the switch gear around the door jamb. Must remove the handles to do it as well. They weigh about 5 pounds each. The dust funnel on the plinth is easy to move side to side and to then back. If you pay shipping I will send you mine if I still have it. I took mine off the plinth to make height for a mobile base. My mobile base is total overkill but, the steel was cheap.
    Bill D

some links with info

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/1214ArborBearings.ashx

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....knife-retrofit

The Clausing is quite a saw but no parts since the 1970's. I thought I wanted one before I got a unisaw. I think there lathes and milling machines are part of the 600 group now. It is basically the same as a unisaw but heavier duty and no parts to be had. No used parts around either.
    Bill D

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...il.aspx?id=822

On mine the arbor uses a 7/16 allen wrench to remove the arbor. Almost all allen sets stop at 3/8. I had to buy a 7/16 impact allen socket and make a pin wrench to remove hte arbor. All threads were left hand.
    Bill D.

I use one of those Delta saws at work. It has a 5 hp 3 phase motor and 1" arbor. Blades for it are considerably more expensive that 10" blades with 5/8" arbor holes. We don't have a dado set for it, so I can't tell you anything about running one of them on it. They have a very old, likely original Biesmeier fence on it that is desperate to be replaced, but they won't, until it completely falls apart and can't be fixed. The saw is a beast, and it will cut anything. Supposedly, they had it re-built about 25 years ago. It could use a re-build again. Better double check the motor power requirements. I doubt that it is single phase, even if it's only 3 hp. Either way, you are likely to flicker the lights on the whole street if it's single phase and you hit the start button.

Then I come home to my puny 3 hp Unisaw, and it takes me a few hours to mentally downsize to it, but I love my Unisaw and have no need for a larger saw for my shop.

Before you buy either saw, look for damage, especially the trunnions, etc. Make certain that test cuts go well and are accurate. Double check the motor ratings to be certain that you can use it. A replacement motor to change the voltage, and phase is going to be very expensive. 5 hp single phase will dim the lights on the street when you start it.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 05-26-2020 at 6:57 PM.

I had a 12/14 for about ten years before I got my slider. I loved using it, lots more area than a regular cabinet saw. A lot harder to move, too. Like mentioned upthread, LOTS of info on them over at OWWM. Given the age it may (or probably will) need new arbor bearings and motor bearings, and removing the top and motor is not a one person job.

The Clausings are nice saws and have a niche following at OWWM, but are long out of production and parts can be very difficult to find given the relatively limited production, at least compared to the more common cabinet saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    Either way, you are likely to flicker the lights on the whole street if it's single phase and you hit the start button.
    5 hp single phase will dim the lights on the street when you start it.
    I don’t think that’s really going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    5 hp single phase will dim the lights on the street when you start it.

Charley
    Assuming you have 200 amp single phase electrical service (or more), you won't notice anything when you start up a 5HP single phase motor. The lights on your street won't dim and the lights in your house won't dim.

A 5HP single phase motor will require a 30 amp 240 volt circuit and that's likely no bigger than your air conditioner. If your air conditioner doesn't dim your lights when it turns on, your 5HP single phase saw won't either.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-26-2020 at 10:54 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

No question that I'd choose the Delta over the Clausing based on parts availability, even for a dedicated purpose like you want it for.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Took a look at both of these saws after work today. As Matt indicated, the blade feels "too close"on the Delta, but I think I would get used to it. Unfortunately, the seller wasn't very forthcoming prior to my visit and both saws have been used very hard in a "Reclaimed Wood" business. The tops of both have large, deep scratches (gouges would probably be a better description) and both saws are needing some major TLC. The Clausing appears to be complete, but the Delta is missing the Door?? on the front.

I've decided to pass even though I could probably repair either of them. The price vs condition just doesn't make them attractive.