Thread: Drywall screws in salt air environment

Drywall screws in salt air environment

I am putting drywall in a powder room at my Delaware Bay cottage. High corrosion salt air environment. During demo, steel fasteners were rusted big time. My concern is standard drywall screws might rust and bleed through the compound and paint. Thinking I should go with stainless drywall screws. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Ron

Stainless is muy expensive. You might consider steel deck screws. They're not stainless, but they are plated to make them much more rust resistant than conventional drywall screws.

+1 for plated Spax-type screws. I would go for the zinc-dichromate (gold/green) coated ones. Hope this helps,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I bought stainless screws for my fence on Ebay. Some guy in Hawaii.
    Bill D

I live on the coast of Maine & use the type Erik recommended below. It is amazing how quickly the salt destroys things.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    +1 for plated Spax-type screws. I would go for the zinc-dichromate (gold/green) coated ones. Hope this helps,

Erik

Much of Simpsons hardware is available in stainless including screws and bolts.
    At much higher prices and special order only.
    Bill D

Make sure to add the antimiold additive to the final paint coat. Five years latter it is still working in my bathroom. Mijne came from Britian via ebay. I think it has silver in it.
    Bil lD
    Bill D

I have lived a 1/4 mile from the Atlantic Ocean for the last 15 years. Rust on hardware inside of the home is generally not a problem. We also typically open the windows on pleasant days, so I would say the HVAC is on about 80% of the time. There is a huge difference with rust once you step outside. A non treated fastener might last 6-12 months. Exterior light fixtures made of plastic are your friend. I think a majority of the rust problem can be attributed not to the salt air, but the salt spray. When the wind is blowing hard and the ocean surf can be heard from a mile away, the air becomes damp with salt spray even on very cold days. On these days your house is closed up.

Blog Entries
    Some stainless fasteners are quite reasonably priced, others not so much. Looking for 15 ga FN 2" finish nails, found them at $55/1000, galvanized (interior) were $15/1000.
    NOW you tell me...

You've already gotten some good suggestions. To throw another one into the mix, you could check out the square drive NoCoRode line of screws from McFeely's. I think they also stock stainless and another corrosion resistant coated line also.

Thanks everybody, gonna digest all that and come up with a plan. Much appreciated.

Might also want to consider mold-resistant drywall. Not much more expensive.

https://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/e...gh.143021.html

Maybe giving them a coat of varnish would be enough. Just toss them in a pan add some varnish, some onions and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes over medium heat.

Blog Entries
    Visit Lowes and Home Depot. See what they have.

Go stainless but 316 not 304 (18/8) - see the stainless types and grades here