Thread: Paid subscription expiry notice

Paid subscription expiry notice

Is it really necessary to send me a "paid subscription expiry notice" every month? Especially since I have it on automatic pay such that if things go well it will not ever expire? My concern is that the system is crying wolf way too often-- I routinely delete these notices without looking at them now, so if there were an issue such that the auto payment didn't happen for some reason I wouldn't actually find out about it.

Can the notices be sent only when the subscription is in actual danger of expiring?

Roger, our server is only supposed to send you an email 30 days before your account expires.
    I'm not sure what is happening in your case but i will see if I can find out.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Is it really necessary to send me a "paid subscription expiry notice" every month? Especially since I have it on automatic pay such that if things go well it will not ever expire? My concern is that the system is crying wolf way too often-- I routinely delete these notices without looking at them now, so if there were an issue such that the auto payment didn't happen for some reason I wouldn't actually find out about it.

Can the notices be sent only when the subscription is in actual danger of expiring?
    Hi Roger,

You've been a great supporter of SawmillCreek through the years--thank you! I checked into the logic for you and here is what I found.

SawmillCreek will automatically generate an email reminder 3 days prior to a subscription expiring, once a year for an annual subscription, or once a month for a one month subscription. (There is also a 30-day reminder on annual subscriptions which Keith is referring to.) When a subscription is set up, you have the option of setting the subscription to "recurring" through your payment processor (PayPal). SawmillCreek sets up the recurring payment on your behalf but does not handle any of the monthly transactions, it only waits for the payment processor to send a receipt that your subscription has been processed. The recurring payments are handled entirely by your payment processor, so SawmillCreek has no way of knowing the outcome until the payment is made; i.e. recurring subscriptions look just like one-time subscriptions.

The best solution for monthly subscribers wishing to have one less email to worry about is to have your payment processor pay 3 days early, so you'll never see a reminder email until you are actually expired. However, I don't think PayPal lets you adjust this in the "Automated Payments" settings, where you would go to manage your recurring payments. Another solution is to switch to the annual subscription. Theoretically, Keith could add 4 days to your current subscription expiration date assuming you're paid up, so that PayPal would send your recurring payment each month just before you would ordinarily receive the 3 day reminder. This would continue to work unless you switched your subscription settings from monthly to annual.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Sounds like switching it to annual might be easiest. I don't recall ever choosing either a subscription start date or a pay date in Paypal-- I would have set it to pay a few days early. It doesn't seem possible to edit the pay date in Paypal. I didn't want to try cancelling it and starting a new payment for fear of really messing something up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl View Post
    SawmillCreek will automatically generate an email reminder 3 days prior to a subscription expiring, once a year for an annual subscription, or once a month for a one month subscription....
    I'm signed up for monthly. I count 35 of those notices in my in box over the last three+ years, once a month. Roger, at first they confused me, then irritated me, then I just ignored them!

However, I think the notices magically went away - the last one I see was Oct 2019. Maybe something changed in my PayPal account.

I see PayPal has always made my payment on the 18th of each month. Except there is one oddity: PayPal shows the very first one in the list as paid on the 6th of the month.
    The Expiry notices from SMC switched occasionally from the 15th to the 16th of the month.

JKJ

Tried to make a donation for several days. PayPal is not working with the site for some reason.

Talbert,

Once you are logged into The Creek use the donation link on the blue menu bar above and your PayPal transaction should automatically update your account here. On occasion when PayPal is very busy it can take awhile for the transaction to complete. There were probably 3 or 4 PayPal successful transactions this morning.