Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini-Project...ZCI for my slider

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...Where this is going to be very helpful to me is when cutting very narrow things that would easily slip into the larger spaces on the OEM insert. It will reduce the incidence of having to stop cutting to clear something that's parked itself in an inconvenient place.
    That's enough reason for me to build one next week... Thanks for the motivation.

Out of curiosity, do any CNC machines have a 'learn' feature, such that you could lay a 3D object on the table, insert some kind of probe, and have the CNC learn how to cut the object?
    Mark McFarlane

Yes, there are probes and software for digitizing the shape of an object. It is a slow process that can require cleanup. I think optical scanning methods are more often used for complex 3d contours. For things that can be represented by vectors it may be easier to draw the object.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Out of curiosity, do any CNC machines have a 'learn' feature, such that you could lay a 3D object on the table, insert some kind of probe, and have the CNC learn how to cut the object?
    It's possible to digitize an object but that just creates the object. And there are also scanning services like Brady Watson's business that do it better. . One still has to tell the CNC how to cut it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Seems like the CNC machines should come with a feature to 'make me one of these' that works for simple shapes like a ZCI or solid body guitar. Perhaps someday that will be a differentiating software feature on the hobby CNCs.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Seems like the CNC machines should come with a feature to 'make me one of these' that works for simple shapes like a ZCI or solid body guitar. Perhaps someday that will be a differentiating software feature on the hobby CNCs.

I hope that actually doesn't happen as it will further erode folk's skills in making things. The CNC is a wonderful tool, but it's just that...a tool. BTW, many solid body guitar bodies are anything but just a simple shape...I know that because one of the things I use my CNC for is producing them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...