Thread: Moderately successful experiment with spraying BIN Primer

Moderately successful experiment with spraying BIN Primer

After my last spray gun failure, I purchased a LVLP gun to better match my 26 gallon air compressor. In general, I got a nice, atomized fan of paint. I messed up the prep a bit by having some dirt on my drop cloth, but I was able to sand and get a pretty good coat. However, one region had some discoloration.

Is this "orange peel" I could spray over it without keeping it from being gray with a rough texture.

IMG_0447.jpg

You can see a video here:

What is it you are painting? No, that's not orange peel, but it sure is nasty looking.

John

I have sprayed BIN in an HVLP also. It is hard to see from the pictures, but I don't think you are putting on enough paint. Check the mill thickness if possible. It is flat, so you can put on a surprisingly thick coat. Also, you don't seem to have sufficient overlap. Perhaps spray horizontal and then vertical in the same session. One right after the other.

Ha, I now realize that I thought your drop cloth or spray booth curtain was part of the workpiece. It's hard to see very well, but what I think is your workpiece looks like the BIN dried before it had a chance to flow out very well. Maybe you are not spraying heavy enough or are holding the gun too far off the surface. I would sand it flat and spray another coat.

John

I sanded it down and it looks great. I'm going to put on another coat so I learn how to get the flow right. Thanks for your feedback.