Thread: Another what is it? PIC

Another what is it? PIC

Someone that gave this to me said it had something to do with a router according to his father. Any ideas what it is?
    Router Thing 001.jpg

I thought years ago someone made something like that you put a router on for turning spindles

I believe Jim is correct. Not 100% positive, but I think it’s a router accessory made by Craftsman. I stumbled upon one of those on eBay within the last year while searching for something else.

I just vaguely remember them . Might be for fluting.

Blog Entries
    It is a Craftsman Router Crafter. It was a device that allowed you to make round things like on a lathe, but using a router. You could make a template and follow the pattern to some degree. It also let you make some special cuts that included making spirals like these handles that were made on my Crafter. You were pretty much limited to a few router bits that did cutting on the ends. You could also do fluting.
    lighter.jpg
    The one you have is missing the router mounting plate, the cup that holds the work piece, the tail piece and a hand crank. So what you have is not very useful.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-25-2020 at 6:51 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It is a Craftsman Router Crafter. It was a device that allowed you to make round things like on a lathe, but using a router. You could make a template and follow the pattern to some degree. It also let you make some special cuts that included making spirals like these handles that were made on my Crafter. You were pretty much limited to a few router bits that did cutting on the ends. You could also do fluting.
    lighter.jpg
    The one you have is missing the router mounting plate, the cup that holds the work piece, the tail piece and a hand crank. So what you have is not very useful.
    +1. I picked up a router crafter from a fellow woodworker in February. $50. Seemed like some cheap entertainment. Has the original Craftsman router. Haven't had an opportunity to check if the router still runs.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks all for the responses. It seems like a interesting gadget but because of the missing parts it's probably destined for the scrap pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill, this is my video. So glad that you guys found it to be a useful resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Thanks all for the responses. It seems like a interesting gadget but because of the missing parts it's probably destined for the scrap pile.
    If you by chance are located in Columbus, I'll give you $10 for it for parts.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher