Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Narrow BandSaw Blades?

Very Narrow BandSaw Blades?

Has anyone here had experience running very narrow bandsaw blades? I was thinking about dedicating a bandsaw for use with 1/16" and 1/8" blades only. The plan was to use an upper V-roller guide only and track the blade to run back against the V-roller lightly. If that works, it would be very easy and quick to swap blades.

I have a 1/8" band that I've employed a couple of times...over the last decade and a half. Due to the setup for such a narrow blade, having a dedicated machine isn't a horrible idea if you have the money and the space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, Did you use a V-roller for the 1/8" blade?

Carter makes a guide system designed for smaller blades: https://www.carterproducts.com/band-...saw-stabilizer

No experience with it, other than seeing a demo of it somewhere....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I keep one on one of the 10" saws, and run a Carter Stabilizer on it. The Stabilizer sounds like what you're talking about. It's just a since bearing with a groove in it. I thought about making one, but the time I'd have to put in finding the stuff to make it out of made paying the high price seem reasonable. The stabilizer allows the blade to twist any kind of way, and it's almost like the blade has no width.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Webster View Post
    Jim, Did you use a V-roller for the 1/8" blade?
    No...this was on my MM16, believe it or not, which is more complicated because of the flat (not crowned) tires. LOL

But a guide system that's well suited for a narrow blade would be a good investment for a dedicated setup like you propose. I envision a v-roller would be really good with something narrow that just isn't suitable for most other guide systems, although you could conceivably also use cool blocks. The v-roller, however, also takes care of the back of the blade all at the same time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Carter Stabilizer is used by itself. Unlike a normal back roller guide, it puts a little pressure on the blade all the time. The side guides are taken off.

I have a 10" Rikon with a Carter Stabilizer and works great with small blades. I run a 3 /16" blade on it. For more intricate cuts I have a Hegner scroll saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Carter makes a guide system designed for smaller blades: https://www.carterproducts.com/band-...saw-stabilizer

No experience with it, other than seeing a demo of it somewhere....
    I have one of those that I bought to use with 1/8" blades. It works ok. I just dont use 1/8" blades much.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Jim, Not sure if you want a crown on your MM16, but if you do, you can make one with progressively wider strips of Gorrilla duct tape. That is what Sulphur Grove use to recommend. On my 20" Delta, I put the crown on the tire (crown on the wheels wasn't enough for smaller blades), but when I replace the tires I am going to try the tape crown. I think a person would have to be careful not to mess the tape up when installing. I made a tire installation wooden wheel that would prevent that problem and makes it much easier to install the tires.

Blog Entries
    Carter stabilizer on a 14” Delta works well with 3/16” blades. That’s the limit of my experience with it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I have a 10" Rikon with a Carter Stabilizer and works great with small blades. I run a 3 /16" blade on it. For more intricate cuts I have a Hegner scroll saw.
    Sounds better than buying and finding shop space for a scroll saw. Does the stabilizer change out with the saw’s guides easily back and forth?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Sounds better than buying and finding shop space for a scroll saw. Does the stabilizer change out with the saw’s guides easily back and forth?
    Carter stabilizer changes out easily, perhaps 5 to 10 minute change over. I run a 1/8 inch blade, smallest blade i could find for bandsaw. Works good.

I have no problem with space and use my scroll saw a lot. I just leave the Carter Stabilizer on the 10" Rikon. My other bandsaw does the larger stuff and resaw.

The 10" saws show up fairly frequently on CL. The Craftsman, that is no longer sold under that name, is the exact same saw as the Rikon. New, the Craftsman ones were $165, so those go pretty cheap on CL. I paid $100 for my second one, because it was pretty close by. They don't take up much room, and are easy to move around if 65 pounds is not a big deal to you. I saw one yesterday on CL for $75. I don't spend any time swapping guides around on any of the bandsaws.