Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Display stand recommendations?

Hobby Lobby has display stands. They have several different styles and finishes. I have some of several types. For smaller bowls, I tend to like the ones that raise the bowl.

D1435D6B-39ED-45C3-97E9-7399A99EA9B9_1_201_a.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Hobby Lobby has display stands. They have several different styles and finishes. I have some of several types. For smaller bowls, I tend to like the ones that raise the bowl.

D1435D6B-39ED-45C3-97E9-7399A99EA9B9_1_201_a.jpg

Thanks William for the HL recommendation. I will check them out more. I like the idea of the stands raise up the bowls, but not sure I'm a fan of the big metal "curly q" on the front that would block some of the decorative rim of the bowl I'm wanting to display. But I will see what else they have.

Ricc

Hey Ricc,

For an unobtrusive stand without distracting embellishment, sturdy, last forever, very unique - how about getting a blacksmith to make some from pounded steel? They might need a bit of black felt or rubber padding in places but I think they would look unique and be functional. Could be made to hold the piece at whatever height you wanted. Could be made in two simple parts and welded together, possibly with a hinge. I'm imagining the contrast between the finely finished turning and the rustic pounded iron would be visually attractive.

There are lots of amateur blacksmiths around. Just mentioning it, a friend made a bunch of horse hoof picks for me from horse shoes. I give them to other friends as presents.

Cutting stands from steel plate with a plasma cutter might be another way to go. I might try that myself.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Thanks William for the HL recommendation. I will check them out more. I like the idea of the stands raise up the bowls, but not sure I'm a fan of the big metal "curly q" on the front that would block some of the decorative rim of the bowl I'm wanting to display. But I will see what else they have.

Ricc
    I’m not a fan of the curly either. I was going to cut them off, but haven’t got around to it yet.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Hey Ricc,

For an unobtrusive stand without distracting embellishment, sturdy, last forever, very unique - how about getting a blacksmith to make some from pounded steel? They might need a bit of black felt or rubber padding in places but I think they would look unique and be functional. Could be made to hold the piece at whatever height you wanted. Could be made in two simple parts and welded together, possibly with a hinge. I'm imagining the contrast between the finely finished turning and the rustic pounded iron would be visually attractive.

There are lots of amateur blacksmiths around. Just mentioning it, a friend made a bunch of horse hoof picks for me from horse shoes. I give them to other friends as presents.

Cutting stands from steel plate with a plasma cutter might be another way to go. I might try that myself.

JKJ

Interesting idea. But the only blacksmith type person I know is my cousin and he's a meatl artist and likes to charge even family members "art show" pricing on simple welding repairs. Having them made by any other blacksmith would probably cost more than a "store bought" stand if i can find a "store bought" one that looks nice and simple. I'm on a disability income so I try to keep an eye on my costs. But, custom made ones might end up being what I need to do.

Ricc

A couple of thoughts to make your own

a turned and machined stand from wood using lathe, routers, power grinders, jig saws, etc. I can envision a number of styles that can be fashioned to be attractive, from rustic to simulated bamboo to art deco.
    Brazed together metal (brass, aluminum). Use similar technique to dress up cuts left from removing curly-q's from store bought ones.
    Bend/cut your own iron - doable with the right fixturing.
    combination of wood and metal

You could embellish with accents that fit with the piece being displayed.

And "custom" purchase from a third party laser cutting service using thin materials of choice: wood, metal, plastics. These are cheaper than you might think, especially in quantity.
    Similar to above but 3D printed.

You'd have to create your own design (scroll saw patterns can be laser cut though).

There may be a chinese source for iron ones, that would be cheap per unit, but usually require minimum buy quantities.

John I couldn't agree more. Lucky for me I am never in a rush and don't do production so I can really enjoy the process. The only time I find my self rushing is when I'm turning green!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Here is a simple stand that can be made from scrap wood. Plate shown is 8" OD. I can turn up to 10.5" on my lathe and this stand will work on them as well. I cut the dowel to length to best fit the plate size.

DSC05249.jpgDSC05247.jpg
    .... Dave

Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Keele View Post
    Here is a simple stand that can be made from scrap wood. Plate shown is 8" OD. I can turn up to 10.5" on my lathe and this stand will work on them as well. I cut the dowel to length to best fit the plate size.

DSC05249.jpgDSC05247.jpg

Dave, nice looking stand. How do you cut the nice smooth curved slot in the base?

Ricc

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Dave, nice looking stand. How do you cut the nice smooth curved slot in the base?

Ricc
    With the base held in place, I raised , then lowered, a dado blade on a table saw, about 1/2"
    .... Dave

Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.

With the base held in place, I raised , then lowered, a dado blade on a table saw, about 1/2"

THANKS!!

Ricc

DSC05249.jpgDSC05247.jpg
    I really like that stand. Thanks for the idea.
    Dick Mahany.