Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to position an air cleaner?

Those turning vanes to direct airflow can be made of ,fire resistant, fabric that absorbs sound. Or panels of acoustic ceiling.
    Bill D.
    First best photo below

https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/e...ee_hangbaf.htm

I have read to hang it on springs so little vibration is transferred into the building. Not important in a stand alone shop. Important in an attached to the house building. You could get really complex and hang it from some rope on pullies to lower it down for filter changes.
    Is there some remote indicator gizmo to know when to change the filters? I suppose the old ribbon in the airflow angle piece would work fine. I know for water flow drawing the arc on the wall behind the nozzle can match flows very well. My dad worked with a guy who invented that flow gauge. The guy did not get his Nobel pride for that, it was for other stuff.
    Bill D

Derek:

Even though I use a respirator until my Dylos meter reads back to ambient particle level counts, I absolutely turn on my two Jet air cleaners while I am generating dust. And I do have a 5HP Oneida cyclone, and use a Festool HEPA vac for things like sanding, so my dust collection is pretty good.

I would definitely not wait until the end of the day to run it. I do often leave it on the timer to run 2 hours after I leave the shop, if I have been generating dust, but your highest particle counts (that you will be breathing) are during tool use.

Yes the noise level is annoying. And loud - especially when both units are on high. But as soon as the particle count returns to ambient levels, I usually turn the big one off, and lower the fan speed on the smaller one to low, or turn it off. At that point I can take off the respirator, and breathe safely.

Alan
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I'd be tempted to put the air cleaner at an angle (draw an octagon inside your garage, and have it on one of those sides)

Matt

Why not turn it on and track the air flow. I know they use smoke sticks to visualize airflow with respirators, you could do something similar moving it around the room to see the air flow. Alternatively, something thin and light on the end of a small stick to see the airflow (like a streamer on a wand, a piece of tinsel or something). I guess I have seen streamers on the grills of fans in stores ...something like that.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    Alternatively, something thin and light on the end of a small stick to see the airflow (like a streamer on a wand, a piece of tinsel or something). I guess I have seen streamers on the grills of fans in stores ...something like that.

John
    Good suggestion.

Party fog machines show airflow.
    Bill D

On my shop made air cleaner, on outlet end, I use two return air grills, turned on their side to redirect the air.

From what I've read, the really fine dust (the stuff that's really nasty to our lungs and we're trying to get rid of) acts more like a gas in the way it disperses and diffuses through the room. The takeaway that I had from that is that location wasn't overly important.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Derek:

Even though I use a respirator until my Dylos meter reads back to ambient particle level counts, I absolutely turn on my two Jet air cleaners while I am generating dust. And I do have a 5HP Oneida cyclone, and use a Festool HEPA vac for things like sanding, so my dust collection is pretty good.

I would definitely not wait until the end of the day to run it. I do often leave it on the timer to run 2 hours after I leave the shop, if I have been generating dust, but your highest particle counts (that you will be breathing) are during tool use.

Yes the noise level is annoying. And loud - especially when both units are on high. But as soon as the particle count returns to ambient levels, I usually turn the big one off, and lower the fan speed on the smaller one to low, or turn it off. At that point I can take off the respirator, and breathe safely.

Alan
    Alan, that makes sense but, while the air cleaner is not noisy, it is noisier than I can stand. I am very conscious if it when I use hand tools, which I do much of the time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Alan, that makes sense but, while the air cleaner is not noisy, it is noisier than I can stand. I am very conscious if it when I use hand tools, which I do much of the time.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I run mine when I have the machines on. It isn't much of a noise addition at that point, that whole logarithmic hearing thing. I usually run it for maybe 15-30 minutes after I am done as well, basically until I get sick of the noise. It is annoying, but it is the best time to get the dust. Otherwise you are sitting and breathing in the dust you want to get rid of for the rest of the day, unless you only machine right before you leave the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Yeah, I wear good ear protection a lot. And I've lost a lot of hearing, so there's that.

The Jet 2000 is especially noisy at the high setting.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

I've been meaning to post these pictures.

This week I was refinishing some drawers. I used my Festool Rotex sander (AKA "The Beast"), with a Festool Vac.

I didn't turn on the two Jet dust collectors, until I took the pictures.

This is the particle readings from the dust generated by the sanding:
    IMG_3746 - Rotated.jpg

I then turned on both Jet dust collectors on high, and ran them for 2 hours.

Here's the after picture:
    IMG_3731 - Rotated.jpg

So, if you didn't have air cleaners, and didn't use a respirator, you can see what you would be breathing.

I'm rather fond of my lungs. I turn on the air cleaners, use a respirator, and a good shop vac on the tool.

BTW, a couple of times when I forgot to turn on the cyclone and used my wide belt sander, the numbers were FAR worse.

It's amazing how much fine particle sawdust some of our tools can generate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I've been meaning to post these pictures.

This week I was refinishing some drawers. I used my Festool Rotex sander (AKA "The Beast"), with a Festool Vac.

I didn't turn on the two Jet dust collectors, until I took the pictures.

This is the particle readings from the dust generated by the sanding:
    IMG_3746 - Rotated.jpg

I then turned on both Jet dust collectors on high, and ran them for 2 hours.

Here's the after picture:
    IMG_3731 - Rotated.jpg

So, if you didn't have air cleaners, and didn't use a respirator, you can see what you would be breathing.

I'm rather fond of my lungs. I turn on the air cleaners, use a respirator, and a good shop vac on the tool.

BTW, a couple of times when I forgot to turn on the cyclone and used my wide belt sander, the numbers were FAR worse.

It's amazing how much fine particle sawdust some of our tools can generate.
    I thought you had the DC1700-PM. Do you just estimate the PM2.5 per the Dylos formula?
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    I thought you had the DC1700-PM. Do you just estimate the PM2.5 per the Dylos formula?
    I have in the past. Plus I have a separate PM2.5 meter which I really don’t think is very accurate. I just go by the Dylos readings.

I know what ambient is and are use a respirator unless it’s down to ambient.

Doing a quick calculation now, using an online spreadsheet, I think that equals PM 2.5 of 142 which is clearly unhealthy. Of course I could be using the wrong number for that, so YMMV.

In any case, I don’t wanna breathe that stuff
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 06-03-2020 at 1:58 PM.