Thread: Derek - Are you and family OK?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Derek - Are you and family OK?

Just read about the storm that hit the West Coast of Oz. One worries.

Thanks Curt.

Western Australia (WA) generally has the very best climate. It does get very hot in summer, but winters are mild. Occasionally we get stormy weather, but it is nothing like the hurricanes I see around the world that leave devastation in their wake.

Alerts were sent out that we were due to be lashed by "once-in-a-decade" storms over the weekend. I recall in 2012 we had severe weather, with rain that caused some flooding as high winds drove it under the eaves of roofs. This happened to us, and our living room was under an 1" of water.

Over the past two days there have been some really heavy storms in-and-around Perth, with flooding and loss of power mainly in areas along the coast. There are 12000 homes without power. We live about 15 minutes drive from the beaches, alongside the Canning River, with is an estuary of the Swan River (which runs through Perth). Our area is quite sheltered and protected. My wife said that it was stormy last night, but I slept through it all. Even the Internet was not affected - good thing as I am involved with Telehealth through the day. I can hear the rain beating on the roof, but it is nothing for concern.

By contrast to our good fortune, the Gascoyne region, 1200 Km north of Perth, was hit by a cyclone. Nature is quite shocking in its strength and violence. I have included a video link below ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...rikes/12281886

Kind regards

Derek

Very happy it was a non-event.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    By contrast to our good fortune, the Gascoyne region, 1200 Km north of Perth, was hit by a cyclone. Nature is quite shocking in its strength and violence. I have included a video link below ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...rikes/12281886
    Goodness. Thanks for your safety.

The pictures remind me of the storms and flooding in East Australia that Richard Casey sent me, was it last year?

JKJ

John, the Eastern seaboard of Australia has had a hellava time over the past 6 months. There were devastating fires in November/December, and then floods in January.

Perth does have fires every-now-and-then, but generally we are fortunate to be spared so much. We are so far away from the rest of Oz that there is often talk of secession. Western Australia is a lot like California, with much of it desert. Someone once described Perth as California in the 50s - largely unspoilt. The population of Perth is just 2 million and the city area is wide spread. To the south are forests and the home of Jarrah trees, among others. Weaving through the city is the Swan River ...

I live on the south side of the city. WA has literally a 1000 miles of beach front, with the whitest and softest sand imaginable. I have spent my life in the ocean windsurfing and surfing, but chose to live on one of the River tributaries. This is a quiet, secluded section, and why it tends to be shielded from the wild weather.

This is the bottom of my road. It is a bird sanctuary, with many keen fishermen, dolphins swim up and down, and in the morning there is a lapping of oars as the rowers practice.

Here is a very short video. Look for the dolphin ...

Stay safe.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Wow, what a beautiful part of the world.

Glad to here all is well with you and your family.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Western Australia is a lot like California, with much of it desert. Someone once described Perth as California in the 50s - largely unspoilt. The population of Perth is just 2 million and the city area is wide spread. To the south are forests and the home of Jarrah trees, among others. Weaving through the city is the Swan River ...

Derek,

Glad to hear you and yours are safe! I really enjoyed your descriptions and photos of Perth – "someone once described Perth as California 50s – largely unspoiled". One question – where do I sign up? The city fathers will certainly know who to blame for the onslaught of Americans descending on Perth!

I grew up in Southern California – I put myself through college lifeguarding for the city of Huntington Beach in the late 1970s. We had an annual exchange program with the surf lifesaving clubs from Australia ostensibly for competitions and to share best practices etc. My memory is we lost every drinking contest and the girls all thought those Ozzie accents were irresistible.

Never been to Western Australia, although was fortunate enough to be part of the team that went to Sydney and the Gold Coast in 1980. My clearest memory, aside from the general hospitality, good nature and friendliness of the locals, was driving along the coast and stopping at a gorgeous surf break with no one in the water. When I expressed an interest in paddling out, one of the locals told me "not here mate, this is where the really big sharks are". When I asked him shouldn't there be a sign or something to warn people etc. he said "Nahh, everyone knows not to mess with the men in gray suitss". Seems like you Ozzie's have a gift for understatement.

Cheers, Mike

Mike, there are indeed sharks around Sydney. Lots. I used to hear the theme song to Jaws whenever I was windsurfing. It taught you not to fall into the water too often!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Mike, there are indeed sharks around Sydney. Lots. I used to hear the theme song to Jaws whenever I was windsurfing. It taught you not to fall into the water too often!

Regards from Perth

Derek
    What's the difference between fresh water and saltwater?

Fall overboard in fresh water and you get wet.
    Fall overboard in saltwater and you are part of the food chain.

On furniture and rid changes in humidity...

Do WA houses see jammed windows, wedged doors and frozen drawers on a Seasonal basis?

I'm about as far from the Atlantic as you are from the Indian, and some clearances are "generous" to accommodate this. (I have drawers that run loose in our Winter and are reluctant in Summer.)

Glad you are well Derek!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Glad you are well Derek!
    Thanks Fred. Much appreciated.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    On furniture and rid changes in humidity...

Do WA houses see jammed windows, wedged doors and frozen drawers on a Seasonal basis?

I'm about as far from the Atlantic as you are from the Indian, and some clearances are "generous" to accommodate this. (I have drawers that run loose in our Winter and are reluctant in Summer.)
    Jim, Perth has a Mediterranean climate. In other words, dry summers and wet winters. The summers are hot - around 38-42 degrees Centigrade (100 -107 F), but the days are dry, and it is surprisingly easy. Very low humidity, if any at all. I moved here from Sydney 30 years ago, partly for work (I was heading up psych services for a children's clinic) and partly for the windsurfing (no kidding!). Sydney is the opposite side of Oz, and it rains in summer. The consequence of this is high humidity. When I built furniture for family in Sydney in recent years, I had to account for movement. I rarely have to do this in Perth (although I built as if it is needed).

Our house has Western Red Cedar external doors and windows. The sun will bake and destroy everything (unless protected), but movement is unlikely and there is no tightness. Comes Winter and rain, I do notice some tightness. About 28 years ago I built a table for the veranda at the rear of the house. The top was slats of old Jarrah flooring I had salvaged. The summer was enjoyed with outside meals around the table. Then came winter, and the rain exposed the dryness of the timber and the too-narrow expansion gaps. One day I heard an explosion, and found that the table had burst open. You learn from these occasions

Regards from Perth

Derek

Will need to visit that Perth area one day. Sounds like an ideal climate.

Norman