Thread: Help needed with Powermatic P60

Help needed with Powermatic P60

Hi,
    I am looking for help with my Powermatic P60 1983 jointer. I am trying to raise outfeed table as it is below cutter head, but locking screw seems to be stuck - I can't turn it.
    Adjustment arm doesn't move either. I am out of ideas, would appreciate any help.

IMG_3543 copy.jpg
    Last edited by Kirill Pugin; 05-24-2020 at 4:20 PM.

See if you can adjust the knives to the outfeed table.

If your threads are stuck, try soaking with some motor oil. I would just put a few drops on, then add a couple every time you go in the shop. Takes a while sometimes. I have heard that the lemon oil in brake fluid is very good at breaking rusty parts free.

Loosen the gib screws as well. Do not drop the gib or it may break. On my delta I unbolted the block that holds the screw and took them off as a pair. Soak it with soaking oil of choice and wait. Hit it lightly with a torch, just to 150F or so every day. Try not to burn the oil. Leave gib screws out and put oil in their holes as well. If you leave them out prop a piece of wood so they can not fall out and break while you are not there.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-25-2020 at 12:01 PM.

While it is still attached make any measurements and make some blocking so it can be supported while it is being installed. It is very hard for one guy to reinstall and align. It probably weighs around 100 pounds.
    Bil lD

Do not use brake fluid. Do not. Also, just make sure there’s not a lock on the backside. While I don’t think there would be, my Jet has a lock on the INFEED side. Which will break the up and down guts of the the thing if you don’t know any better.
    Last edited by Ben Helmich; 05-24-2020 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Oops

Brake fluid makes a decent paint stripper if you put it in a jar and soak stuff in it. It is also hydrocopic so you never run out. Being hydroscopic using it to break rust would just be adding water, forever.
    You need to give location. Here I would put it in the sun for a few days. It would heat the metal to 120 or more every afternoon and heat thins the oil so it penetrates better. Not if you live in Antarctica, do you live in Antartica?
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-25-2020 at 12:04 PM.

PB Blaster

Patience, penetrating oil, heat and vibration will get you there. I have used PB Blaster to good effect. KRoil and automatic transmission fluid mixed with acetone have been touted as well. Keep applying it daily alternating with heat and tapping with a dead blow hammer. Brute force is a bad idea.

In case you don't have a manual you can find one at the vintage machinery website http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/655/4938.pdf