Thread: Festool Rotex vs Festool ROS

Festool Rotex vs Festool ROS

I have a festool rotex and I find it’s not as pleasant to use (not a smooth glide across the wood) in normal ROS mode as my ROS festool. Both of my tools are 5”.

Do others have similar experiences?

Also how does the rotex compare to this Bosch tool (don’t recall the model) that is similar — has the ‘aggressive mode’
    Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    I have a festool rotex and I find it’s not as pleasant to use (not a smooth glide across the wood) in normal ROS mode as my ROS festool. Both of my tools are 5”.

Also how does the rotex compare to this Bosch tool (don’t recall the model) that is similar — has the ‘aggressive mode’
    Rotex is a great meat eater in my opinion. Just this weekend I had the Rotex closer, started then grabbed the other for the needed use. No Bosch experience.

The Bosch feels the same in hand. The Bosch may even be a little more comfortable but the vibration and dust collection are where the Festool shines. Not that the Bosch necessarily vibrates but the Festool won’t wear out your hands as much. I have used both. If you want smooth operation get a Mirka but I am unsure if Mirka makes a model that is as aggressive as the big Bosch or the Rotex. I hook up the Bosch to my Fein vac and it does excellent. I have been eyeing the Festool CT15 though.

I own both the Rotex 150 and a 150/3 ROS. The Rotex is a specialty tool and best employed for "serious" heavy shaping and stock removal. It's a two-handed tool and not designed for constant finishing sanding. I only use it when its capabilities are required for the job. For finishing sanding the ROS is the better tool...and for me, that's 95% of my sanding.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I own both the Rotex 150 and a 150/3 ROS. The Rotex is a specialty tool and best employed for "serious" heavy shaping and stock removal. It's a two-handed tool and not designed for constant finishing sanding. I only use it when its capabilities are required for the job. For finishing sanding the ROS is the better tool...and for me, that's 95% of my sanding.
    I couldn't agree more. This weekend I actually had to replace the plastic/rubber piece on the bottom of my Rotex 150. What a PIA. Took the whole staff at Woodcraft, viewing two YouTube videos, and using a workbench as a vice to make it happen. Never had any issues remotely like this with my 150/3 (which I use for 99% of my sanding, and love it). Had to replace a similar part on my 150/3. Took about 1 minute with a screwdriver.

The Rotex is a beast. I clearly can remove far more material than the 150/3, but it vibrates like crazy and is clearly a two-handed tool. No question I like the 150/3. The only Festool tool that I regretted buying was the Rotex.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Do you have a Festool dealer nearby where you can try them both out? I have the opposite feeling as Alan - I had a 150/3 and sold it when I got a Rotex. Perhaps I'm just too impatient with sanding, but I never felt like the 150/3 was "doing anything", but really enjoy the speed the Rotex provides.

I love what the Rotex does, but the balance and heft make it a pretty abysmal finish sander. For removal of just about anything, it’s amazing. For polishing as well. The 150/3 takes hardly any effort and glides across the surface and shines at mid to fine grits.

I wouldn’t be without either one.

Agree with the others, I have the 125 ROTEX and also two 125 RO's.

The ROTEX only comes out occasionally when some heavy sanding is needed.

The other two RO's are battery powered with AC adaptors and are my go to for 100-320 grit sanding. Even without the dust collection hose, they do suck up the dust into their little sanding bags very well.

My Bosch 1250 DEVS is my main sander (similar to Rotex 150, I think). It is not at all weight balanced so I have to remember it is going to remove wood faster on the side where the motor is. I use it routinely one handed. In the aggressive mode with 40 grit it is a handful. But with 100 grit or finer, it is not bad to control, even in "turbo" mode. In the random orbit mode I see no scratches in the project (I normally stop at 220 grit). I clamp work more often with this sander than I ever have before because it is definitely easier to use with two hands.

It is my main sander because it gets this undesirable task over quickly. Even in RO mode it has a 5mm orbit so it is more aggressive than my other finish sander (a DeWalt).

I have both the 6" Rotex and the 6" ROS. The Rotex in its grinder mode is great for removing lots of material fast, and I use it for that. I generally use the ROS rather than the random-orbit function of the Rotex, because the ROS is lighter and better balanced. If either one of them disappeared in the middle of the night, I'd go buy another the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Do you have a Festool dealer nearby where you can try them both out? I have the opposite feeling as Alan - I had a 150/3 and sold it when I got a Rotex. Perhaps I'm just too impatient with sanding, but I never felt like the 150/3 was "doing anything", but really enjoy the speed the Rotex provides.
    The Rotex in ROS mode is the equivalent of the 150/5. It will sand "faster" than the 150/3 comparatively because of the increased size of the orbital, but may not be as well suited when getting into the finer abrasives. My only issue with my Rotex is that it's a two-handed tool and therefore, just not appropriate for the largest part of my regular sanding as I previously noted. I think your advice to try them both is uber-sound...everyone is different.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post

I have the Rotex 150 and 90, and also the ETS EC 150/3, and I wouldn’t consider using either Rotex for finish work. The Rotex machines are for when you want to “show aggression”. Bring out the gimp! They are great for aggressive stock removal, e.g. in lieu of using toxic strippers. Or rough carving/shaping. Even in ROS mode, they don’t allow you the finesse of the 150/3.