Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Land" dimension on a bevel edge bench chisel

Thanks, David. Skewing certainly gets rid of the land issue. Now that I'm expecting a 1/8" chisel in the mail soon, I suppose I'll limit my pin widths to no more than what I can hit with that chisel skewed through, say, half the thickness of the part. That seems like a reasonable design threshold for me. But I like the knife idea, too.

Good discussion, and it seems to have prompted Erich Weidner to start another thread.

How do you skew a chisel doing half blinds?

I often use a specially ground flat fishtail, but I after 35 years I consider myself a pretty good beginner :-D

If I cannot easily "get in there", I just grab a smaller chisel. I think that my smallest chisel is around 1/16" (sorry metric people, less than 2mm); I really like my (no longer available) detail chisels from Lee Valley. I do not need them for most tasks, but when I built some small boxes to hold toothpicks, I was very happy that I had them. They also have wider chisels that are very thin.

I don't suppose that you have a set of these Derek?

Andrew, I do not have the LV detail chisels. Never even seen them in the flesh.

I think I need to exit this thread since I am not making any impact on the newbie who asked the question originally. I have a few "sets" of chisels I like for dovetailing: Veritas, Blue Spruce, custom Koyamaichi, and original Stanley #750, which I customised. All have in common minimal lands.

I have a fair amount of experience making dovetails, especially complex dovetails. I have posted many examples here. Working with chisels with minimal lands works for me. It seems to work for others as well. Bob, have a look at the videos of Rob Cosman. He may be a showman, but he knows his stuff.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek. Newbie here. In fact you’ve had an impact on my understanding. It’s up to me now to acquire the experience and develop my skills.

All the best,
    Bob