Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: putting concrete on concrete (sidewalk)

Surprises me that they won't repair the sidewalk. However if it's only bothering you then not sure I would sweat it. I think I would would just have them repair it. As for breaking it up. I don't think I've ever saw a 20 lb sledge hammer. I'm not gonna mess with the guy swinging it though. I've used a 16 lb and that was work.

The 20 pounder, you don't have to swing. Hold it straight over head, and bring it down. 12 lb. is the heaviest one I'll swing all the way around, but the 20 pounder, will still break up concrete easier without the full swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Surprises me that they won't repair the sidewalk. However if it's only bothering you then not sure I would sweat it. I think I would would just have them repair it. As for breaking it up. I don't think I've ever saw a 20 lb sledge hammer. I'm not gonna mess with the guy swinging it though. I've used a 16 lb and that was work.
    The walk is sound, but, every time it rains, I end up with a muddy puddle and in the winter I need to use sand or salt because i end up with an ice patch because it is low. The real problem is that I spend time to deal with it, especially in the winter when I have an ice patch as well as spending money when I purchase sand or salt to put on it. In the summer, it is simply an annoyance to have a muddy puddle on the sidewalk.

Some cities will fix it for you if there is a problem with it. Some cities do not. If my city decides that it is a problem, then they are happy to hire someone to do it for me and then send me a bill for it. A neighbor received a bill for over a thousand dollars. I believe that they charge the city, the city pays it, and then the city bills you for it. the city does not in general do this because you ask them to, they wander around every few years and then come through your neighborhood and do them all. By that time, there are usually many that are in really bad shape. We just did it last year and some are already raised by an inch (not new ones, but some older ones that were not seen as a problem last year).

So, after 16 years I am tired of buying things and putting them on the walk and worrying about people falling on my walk. I can keep it safe, but it is annoying that it takes so much extra effort. The city goes after you if you do not maintain, clear, etc, but they do not pay for any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The 20 pounder, you don't have to swing. Hold it straight over head, and bring it down. 12 lb. is the heaviest one I'll swing all the way around, but the 20 pounder, will still break up concrete easier without the full swing.
    Whether you call it swinging or not you still have to raise it and control it. Some people aren't going to be capable of doing it very safely because of their physical limitations.

These guys can, fascinating to watch
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I figure if I keep using one, once in a while, I might still be able to when I'm 86:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-NsirLXUMk&t=79s

edited to add: The comments are priceless "Here, hold my cane."
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-09-2020 at 8:11 PM.