Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: putting concrete on concrete (sidewalk)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Columbus Coal and Lime is fantastic to work with for supplies, looks like they have been bought out
    http://www.columbuscoal.com/
    have heard good things about Hamilton Parker, have not dealt with them
    https://www.hamiltonparker.com/
    Columbus Builders Supply is a good choice also
    http://www.columbusbuilders.net/
    good luck
    ron
    This is gold, thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Makes too much sense.... I will look into it. At the expected price point, no reason to not check it out. sounds like an ideal way to fix it. I am embarrassed I did not think about it.
    I have a neighbor that had 40 sections of sidewalk leveled last Fall. I had that company do a quickie estimate for my sidewalk. Unfortunately I am not finding that estimate at the moment, but I think it was about $69 a section.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Lowes will deliver for free on orders over $35 or so. I would think you can special order your patching mix from the national web site.
    Good luck, i can not get lowes or hd websites to work for me. They do not allow me to set a local store so I can not get prices or inventories. Since I have no location it does not allow me to limit the search by say brand. I have to use google and get a sku number to search.
    Thi is better then it was a year ago when they said there was no store within 100 miles of me. At least they now know the stores near me. I just can not request to look at those stores.
    Bil lD

I wouldn't over-think this. An hour with a 20# sledge and gloves and the offending piece is in a dumpster in pieces. Make sure you use a masonry blade on a skill saw to frame the bad piece. Rent an electric demo hammer, the big one--it rents for $100 for two days at Home Despot.

Then call in the ready mix truck with 1500 psi mix. You really don't want it harder than that, and don't want wire or bar. The whole idea is to make it easy to replace. Most driveways and sidewalks are 1500 psi, well at least that is Code here.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    I wouldn't over-think this. An hour with a 20# sledge and gloves and the offending piece is in a dumpster in pieces. Make sure you use a masonry blade on a skill saw to frame the bad piece. Rent an electric demo hammer, the big one--it rents for $100 for two days at Home Despot.

Then call in the ready mix truck with 1500 psi mix. You really don't want it harder than that, and don't want wire or bar. The whole idea is to make it easy to replace. Most driveways and sidewalks are 1500 psi, well at least that is Code here.
    Breaking it up is not the hard part, it is getting rid of it. Trash won't take it and that stuff weighs a lot. I have a line on someone who can probably help me get rid of it.

I had hoped to be able to simply jack it up, but, there are two problems. First, it has not really fallen much and they will only jack it to the original height (which I think was too low) and clearly it has fallen some because there looks to be a crack along one piece, but, that would also prevent them from jacking it.

Breaking it up is not the hard part, it is getting rid of it. Trash won't take it and that stuff weighs a lot. I have a line on someone who can probably help me get rid of it.

I had hoped to be able to simply jack it up, but, there are two problems. First, it has not really fallen much and they will only jack it to the original height (which I think was too low) and clearly it has fallen some because there looks to be a crack along one piece, but, that would also prevent them from jacking it.
    Andrew, not sure where you are located but here in Gahanna, the city provides a free drop off for waste materials to its residents. Maybe your local gov does the same.

Also, I found the quote I got last Fall to level my walk. The company is B-Level. Their estimate was $75 per section + $150 to locate storm drainage, etc. Given what I saw on my neighbors job, they don't seem to have any issues about raising past original height. But the crack is probably a deal breaker. They told me I would have to replace one section with a crack in it.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Andrew, not sure where you are located but here in Gahanna, the city provides a free drop off for waste materials to its residents. Maybe your local gov does the same.

Also, I found the quote I got last Fall to level my walk. The company is B-Level. Their estimate was $75 per section + $150 to locate storm drainage, etc. Given what I saw on my neighbors job, they don't seem to have any issues about raising past original height. But the crack is probably a deal breaker. They told me I would have to replace one section with a crack in it.
    B-Level said that if it has not really dropped, then they cannot do it, which means that it is top coat or replace.

I am in Worthington, and I was under the impression that they specifically stated that they do not handle construction waste so I expect that I need to dispose myself. Of course, where I am raising significantly, I expect I could leave some in the bottom to raise it if I wanted to.

B-Level said that if it has not really dropped, then they cannot do it, which means that it is top coat or replace.

I am in Worthington, and I was under the impression that they specifically stated that they do not handle construction waste so I expect that I need to dispose myself. Of course, where I am raising significantly, I expect I could leave some in the bottom to raise it if I wanted to.

Check with the concrete supply yards many take broken concrete for free. Here in Medina there are 3 places that take it within 5 miles of me.

Around the drain in your basement I would just use a bag or two of sakcrete.(The premixed cement and aggregate stuff) that just requires adding water and mixing. Have also used weldbond glue on repairs like this many times.

Why not just put in precast concrete pavers?

I would get a big sledge hammer and large crow bar to use for breaking the concrete. It is not difficult unless it is really thick or has reinforcement. Then advertise broken concrete on CraigsList and sell it. Broken concrete is really nice along side narrow parking areas or driveways, in front of sheds, and other places where a solid surface is needed.

Fill between the pieces with 1/4" crushed rock or soil depending on if you prefer ground cover or not.

Add some small sized gravel or crushed rock to level the grade and then place new concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    Why not just put in precast concrete pavers?
    I think that I know what that is, but, this is a city sidewalk.... If it were my walk way, that might be different. I expect the city would make a frowny face!

"this is a city sidewalk..." Not sure if I missed this in previous posts, but if so, call the city and have them check it out and see if they'll replace it- they should... In fact, they might get a bit huffy if you DO repair it yourself...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    "this is a city sidewalk..." Not sure if I missed this in previous posts, but if so, call the city and have them check it out and see if they'll replace it- they should... In fact, they might get a bit huffy if you DO repair it yourself...
    They are happy to fix it for $300 a section. THey will come around, mark it, then send you a letter than you have x number of days to fix it yourself or they will have someone do it and send you a bill.

Last time, I noted that they marked it so I immediately fixed it myself. Received the letter and saw that I needed a free permit so I called them. He said "no worries, it is really to make sure that wander out to make sure that it was done right. He said if you don't hear back from me, don't worry about it.

THe driveway permit has a cost associated with it so that they can use the cost to fix the road if you mess that up. I don't remember if he said that you get most of the fee back if it is all good.

I think that what that really translates to is that they guy you pay to fix or replace your driveway charges you for the permit then pockets the returned money if they do not mess up the road.

The rules will vary from city to village to homeowner's assoc etc. Normally installers are required to warrantee their work for a number of years and label it. Ask the local governing authority.